Americas Cup

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyP

Just got up at 6am to watch the 2nd day of the AC. Watched yesterdays race on You Tube to catch up.
Wow what fantastic racing, and the speed is incredible. Up to 43+ kts. Gee a tad quicker than Moonshadow.
Looking forward to watching more.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

2ndwish

We just got back from SF and had the opportunity to view Saturday's race from the water courtesy of the boat of the friend of a friend. Sunday we got to the viewing area for an up close view of the boats before the race. For the race we were able to get a great view from the beach at Chrissy Field. Incredible location, incredible races.

Steve Sayian

Went for a sail Saturday on wooden 2-time winner Intrepid in Newport, RI. 

Not as fast as those 'plastic fantastics', but just as thrilling!

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Clay Greene

We did the same thing in Newport last fall.  Got to steer a 12-meter in 25 knots of wind.  Definitely worth the money if you are ever in the area.  Don't think I'll have the same chance on an AC72.  Gary Jobson said that it was the only time in his life that he can remember being offered the helm on a boat and he turned it down. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TonyP

Great racing ... great come back from 8-1 down by Team USA. Good to see so many Aussies on board. Jimmy Spithill is from Pitwater too.
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Stu Jackson

I was THERE. Look for me when Oracle comes under the Bay Bridge. That's ME.

Pictures at 1100...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Here ya go:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scotty

Scotty

TonyP

I knew one of the other partners worked for Oricle ... didn't know he was Asia Pacific VP ... onya Steve.
Nice pic Stu.  Would have loved to be there again ... beautiful city. I was there to surf last two times there.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

mregan

Stu,
Was it like a speed boat passing you by?

Barry White

Nice pic Stu... it looks like you have "overlap", ....how did you make out at the finish??
Cheers,
Barry
Endorfin, 1986 C-34TM hull 98
Eastern Passage, N.S.

TonyP

Hey Stu
If you watch the link below you can be seen from 49.00 where you are just about to go under the bridge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdmviq1kyg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4jyS1DaVhX_4sSOARbcOObnqywOkRzYl

cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Stu Jackson

Quote from: TonyP on September 26, 2013, 01:30:22 PM
Hey Stu
If you watch the link below you can be seen from 49.00 where you are just about to go under the bridge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdmviq1kyg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4jyS1DaVhX_4sSOARbcOObnqywOkRzYl

Thanks, Tony.  You''ll notice I did beat him across the shadow line of the bridge!
:D

Quote from: mregan on September 26, 2013, 05:40:36 AM
Stu,
Was it like a speed boat passing you by?

I did shout "passing!, overtaking!" as they went by!!!  :D  I should have asked if they any Gray Poupon.  They didn't offer any champagne, either.  

Quote from: Barry White on September 26, 2013, 06:47:02 AM
Nice pic Stu... it looks like you have "overlap", ....how did you make out at the finish?

Barry, I finished before they did, but I didn't sail the course!  :D  Been known to happen to me when I was actually IN the race, too.  :D

Clay Greene

I wonder if the Kiwis yelled, "passing, overtaking" on the windward legs of the last two races?  Maybe not. 

Great racing and San Francisco Bay looks like a wonderful place to sail. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin