Second Anchor Rode

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

I want to add a second rode in the anchor locker and checked the Wiki and found nothing about anyone who's done this on a MK II.

Has anyone added a second rode on a MK II?  I currently have 180' of 5/8 nylon and 20' of 3/8 chain. 

Even if I divide the locker with a plywood (or something) seperator, doesn't look like there's enough room for the new rode/chain.

Would add about 200' of line and 40-50' of 5/16 chain.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

sail4dale

Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Jack Hutteball

Steve, I have a second anchor (Danforth) in the holder depressions in the locker along with 150 feet of 1/2" line and 35 feet of chain.  The chain and rhode for the secondary are on the bottom of the anchor locker, and the 200 feet of line and 35 feet of chain on the primary Bruce simply lay on top of the secondary.  I have always assumed that if I have to deploy the secondary that the rhode for the primary would already be out there, last ditch effort so to speak.  I have never used it in the 10 years we have had the boat.  Just takes more time to get it all out of the locker if I want to really clean out the locker.  I have never really thought about dividing the locker.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Steve Sayian

Thanks to both Sail and Jack.

We want a second anchor since there are a lot of nice areas both in Boston Harbor and Cape Cod and the Islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket to anchor.  Most areas are fairly open and if a wind shift occurs, I wanted to be able to deploy another anchor.

Jack;  I presume that your Danforth is a 22 lb (or similar).  I like the idea of putting the rode below the prime rode.  makes more sense that trying to divide the locker. I'm also not thinking of adding a second bow roller as I'll just use the port cleat.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ralph Masters

If I were going to put in a divider I would cut it so it fits on the diagonal from port forward corner to aft starboard corner and jam it in there.  Then you would not have to try to figure out how to keep it in place side to side or front to back.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Sayian on March 21, 2012, 11:21:57 AM
I'm also not thinking of adding a second bow roller as I'll just use the port cleat.

Steve, consider adding a rubstrake on the edge to avoid chafe from the rode on the edge.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I added a plywood partition to mine.  I used to use the pile on top method, but found the secondary rode got very dirty, even when using a washdown pump.  Wasn't too hard, seems to be plenty of room.  Main rode is 40' chain, 200' 3 strand.  Can't recall what is on the secondary.  Will try to snap a picture this weekend.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Steve : If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes, Projects and Wiki you should find how I split the anchor well.  You can see my "split well" in my "windlass" article.  [Here - http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass-apache.html Stu]

I have 200 ft and 50 ft of chain on the Bruce and 200 ft and 30 ft of chain on the Danforth.  
Both nylon rodes are braid on braid nylon, as 3 strand get tooo stiff to work with or have it lay down!!

I used a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" clear Lexan.  I mounted two pieces of teak with slots in the well, so the lexan slides down into those slots.  I also made a 1/2" short cutout in the bottom of the lexan so both sides can drain.

You can purchase a small anchor roller to mount on the port side of your head stay fitting, as most 1989 and later C34s have done.

FYI, I split my anchor well about 1990 and wrote that up!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Sayian

Thank you ALL very much for the speedy reply and suggestions.

I'll take the suggestions and split the well.

I have a C-30 bow roller from my last boat and will use that for the port side.

Will most likely go with a Fortress 16# anchor as backup and put it in the well.

Again, thanks very much!

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ken Juul

The boat sure does collect dirty over the winter!  Needs a serious cleaning and waxing after the pollen stops falling!  Picture with the partition in place.  Second anchor is too small, but it was free, so there it sits until I fork out for another.  Second anchor has I think 150' of 3 strand and ~10' of chain.  Still plenty of room.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Ken,

Thanks so much for the pix.

Your well looks about 1/2 again the size of the MK II when I looked at mine this afternoon.

My 180' of 5/8 rode and 20' of 3/8 chain takes up about 2/3 of the well already.  Have to do some rearranging.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass