Man jewerly

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Asbury

The must have feature of a knife I carry off shore and on shore is a serrated blade.
Don't know why 420 stainless would not be appropriate, and Gill prices are reasonable.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

lazybone

The lower quality the steel, the more often you have to resharpen, only Ron Popiel's Ronco knives never need sharpening.

Here's an ok quality 440C SS serrated that I carried for a short time.  Offered a slight advantage when cutting certain lines when sharp but trying to resharpen the serrations to a razor edge is a major time consuming pain in the ass.  It sits rarely used in a drawer in the boat.

The worst part is it makes a mess of a simple job of peeling an apple.
I guess it's all personal and what suits me.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

It's been my experience that ferrous steel knives keep an edge longer (and better) than stainless steel.  I've had a lot of stainless steel knives, but not any expensive ones.  Perhaps the expensive ones have better edges.  Best knife ever?  My grandfather made a knife out of a file.  He gave it to my dad who carried it through WWII.  He gave it to me years ago.  My sailing knife is the cheapest West Marine knife (about ten bucks).  I buy a bunch of them and give them to people who crew with me.
Scotty