Hood Roller Furling Poll

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

In the previous thread I asked how many folks would be interested in converting their continous line furler to a single line if we can get a group buy from Hood.  Please PM me if you are interested.  If you have other non C34 owners in your marina with the same furler, please ask them too, the bigger the group, the better chance we have of getting a discount. 

No need to respond again if you all ready have.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Michel

Folks;

I relpaced my continuous line roller unit  about 7 years ago when I bought the boat....I still consider this to be one of the best investments I made in this boat, and I don't even remenber what it cost at the time.......Hood did have a "replacement plan" available at the time....so I just did it....I was able to easily change just the base and keep the foils that were original.....

I single hand almost all of the time, and I would never go back to the old type....too dangerous in even a fair wind!

If there are close choices in model selection, always go for the larger or more efficient unit.  It can be a bear getting that jib in on a stiff blow!
Steve Michel

Stephen Butler

Would upgrade if the price is anywhere near right.  Our old unit is functioning well, but after 20 years, its days are numbered.  Good luck on all our behalf.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Lance Jones

Ours works fine (Fresh Water Boat). However, if the price is right, I'd do it.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

chuck53

Ken
Have you talked to the Hood people to see if they will even consider offering the upgrade and if so, under what conditions? 10 or more or 100 or more.
If we can't get an upgrade, what roller furling unit would be best to make the switch over to.

Ken Juul

I have not yet talked with Hood.  Wanted to make sure there was enough interest first.  Going sailing in the British Virgins for the next two weeks, will contact them when I get back.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mert Gollaher

Our old unit is still functioning reasonably well, but like others I have to believe its days are numbered.  I'd be interested in upgrade possibilities.  Thanks.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Joe and Carol

We are interested.  Our orginal furler continuious line needs replaced.  A good tome to consider conversion.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Ken Heyman

We also need to replace our continuous line and the splice is problamatic,  I might consider a upgrade. That said I have been happy with double cleating the line and have only had one surprise unfurling  (my bad) with Bob Kuba last year.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Tom Glennon

Add me to the list Ken.  I would welcome the upgrade at a good price!!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ken Juul

After several email misdirects I finally got to talk to someone at Hood.  They remembered the discount, unfortunately that was during a time when they had excess drums.  They now only buy enough to do complete units. 

They did mention that they would give a substantial discount for owners that are upgrading the entire system.  But would not specify the amount of the discount.  They said it depended on the specifics of the new system ordered.

Very helpful on the phone, they said they did not reply to my emails because of server problems.  Recommend calling the Tampa office if interested.  813 885 2182.

I guess it is time to learn how to do a continuous line splice.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

That is the same response I got from them last year when I inquired about the upgrade. You'd think that they'd be able to do that with a dedicated 7-9 orders for it?!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for the effort, even if Hood cannot seem to respond.  Much appreciated. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

jmnpe

I contacted Hood about the upgrade program in June of 2007. I was able to buy one at that time, but they indicated that I got the last one available. I don't think they even make the SL900 drum anymore.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Mert Gollaher

Thanks for trying, Ken.  There is a pretty good end-to-end constant diameter splice video on YouTube.
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT