Sail's what and where to buy

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster

I want to get a lite wieght sail not a spinnaker, but something I have heard of called a "Gennaker".  
What do you reccomend, and where do I buy it, and what should the cost be?
I'm not a racer, just looking for cruising in lite air.

Ted Pounds

I think what you're looking for is an aysmetrical spinnaker or a cruising spinnaker.  You can get them from any sailmaker.  I bought the one on my Catalina 25 from Gleason's (they were in Traverse City when I gbought it mail-order; I think they moved to the mid-Atlantic)  My current one I bought from the local Doyle loft here in Chicago.  I think I paid about $1800 for it at a winter boat show.  If you get one, you definitely want to get a "snuffer" for it.  I had a ChuteScoop on the old one and an ATN on the current one.  The snuffer makes setting and dousing a snap.  I've flown mine on "Molly Rose"  single-handed.  I belive there was one advertised on this message board too; though it may be sold.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

amoreau

Hi,  check out one of the previous posts by Larry.  He's selling a spinnaker and chute for about $950.00 which is a good price.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

rm_fleming

I have a drifter on my 1989; it works great on those light air days on Lake Michigan.  Very simple to deploy and allows you to sail fairly close to the wind.  You can see it at: http://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia4i.html

rirvine

I have an UK asymmetrical spinnaker on my C34 MKII with an ATN sock to make the launch and retrieval easier when short-handed or in stronger winds.  The sock is a big advantage but does not mean there can be no mistakes.  We sail mostly in Monterey Bay CA, where it can blows hard in the summer time, and use this sail in winds up to 20Kts without much trouble <well mostly>. We find it to be a lot of fun and less trouble than a symmetrical spinnaker.  I would recommend this addition to anybody looking for some extra excitement.f