Lavac head

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

When I tried "Lavac" in the search function I was asked if I meant "Lava" which I thought was quite humorous in the context of the inquiry. The search suggests that no one has tried to replace the OE head with a Lavac unit. This is the manual toilet that uses a separately located diaphram pump to create a vacuum and thereby empty the head after use. It is reported to use very little water and therefore greatly extend the life of the holding tank while cruising. A number of users have reported great satisfaction with the Lavac. See: http://www.lavac.com/

Is there anyone out that has secretly been enjoying the pleasures of the Lavac who would care to weigh in on this compelling topic?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ted Pounds

I put a Lavac in mine.  I put the electric version in.  I ended up mounting the pump and switch on a piece of starboard that was mounted to the bulkhead behind (outboard) the toilet.  What I liked was the simplicity of operation.  The design allows you to leave the head thru-hull open all the time (while on the boat; I always closed every thru-hull when I left).  And flushing was as simple as pushing a button.  On all my boats I always minimized holding tank usage by "dry flushing" #1 and only wet flushing #2.  On the Lavac "dry flushing" is accomplished by flushing with the seat up.  Since the bowl was dry most of the time I would add a little water with the shower sprayer before going #2 which improved the evacuation of the bowl.  If you want more info shoot me an e-mail and I'll see if I can get some pictures from the new owner.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

John,
I got the same thing when I used the search box at the top of this page.  However, if you click on the search tab (below and to the left of the search box) you will get a page that does a more comprehensive search.  Lavac will bring up about a half dozen posts I made in the past.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447