Rope Clutches

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I decided that some of the friction I had in the main halyard was due to the different levels of the deck organizers, fairleads and rope clutches.  I added 1 inch teak under the rope clutches and the deck organizers to get everything close to the same plane as the fairleads. This was not perfect but it seems to help.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Rick Johnson

Might as well include this also.  Not quite happy with this yet....  But it's much easier to raise the main now...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

dave davis

Rick, thanks for the explanation and the nice photos of your workmanship.
What you have done is to take care of most of the vertical missalignment which is valid. But, you have not addressed the horizontal misalignment. You can get additional efficiency by eliminating the deck organizers completely.
I have measured to effect of lifting a 40 pound weight off the deck with and without using the deck organizer. This test was written up several years ago but I can not find the results. Maybe Stu can locate the results. He is much better at finding old data. My notes on the subject is as follows. It takes 125lbs to lift the 40lbs weight when going through the organizer and it takes 84lbs to lift going direct without the organizer.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

dave davis

Rick,
I found the report on the advantages of bypassing the deck organizer.
Try:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=89.0  this can be found in the Feb issue of the Tech Notes. Vol 15#1 Good Luck,
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach