Where did you mount your fishfinder?

Previous topic - Next topic

saildog2

I am considering adding a FF to allow for a little more reliable depth readings.  The units I am looking at use a sizeable plug on the cable opposite the trandducer, so it seems to limit the insturment mountiing options.  Appreciate any input - thanks in advance

Stu Jackson

Dale

The only reference to a fishfinder location that I can remember on this board is reply #5 from Key Heyman to a question I posted about tranducers.  If you ignore the orgiinal subject and read #5, there's a brief description.  Perhaps Ken can add to this or you can send him a personal message.

Try: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3319
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

saildog2

Thx I had previously seen that.  My question was where others had mounted the insturment, not the transducer

Jim Price

My Hummingbird unit is mounted on the pedistal.  The Hummingbird mount is mated to a clamp mount made from starboard and the clamp mount is attached to the port side of the pedistal tube matching the Garmin 176C plotter mounted on the starboard tube.  I can see the bottom and quickly how that relates to the mapping chart on the Garmin.  I don't have any pics for now but can put on my list to do, maybe tomorrow if weather permits.  I would think you could fashion a mount for any tpye FF using one of the many tube clamp options out there and teak or starboard.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Jim

How and where did you run the wiring?  Is your tranducer thru hull or inside?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Wiring runs from unit through other instruments wire grommet into pedestal tubing and into aft area.  Runs under sole to v-berth and to transducer.

Transducer is mounted inside of hull, not through hull.  No hole in hull for this one.  PO did install  - looks like it is basically bonded to hull - nothing fancy.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ken Heyman

Dale,

On our 27, I permanently mounted the units(display) fitting on the port bulkhead in the cockpit facing the helm. The advantage of this location was simplicity and good visibility. The disadvantage is that any crew or guest that likes to prop themselves up against the bulkhead and look at "where they have been", are somewhat inconvenienced by the fitting. After a sail, I would always remove the unit from its fitting hence as the song goes "permanently - temporary". I think the pedestal mount is likely a better option.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

saildog2

Can I safely run the xducer cable up thru the pedestal itself?  my guards already contain wiring for other insturments. would appreciate info from anyone who has done this   thank you

Jim Price

As stated previously, all my wiriing runs thru the tubes.  Not aware of any problems ever.  I do have older style pods with SR Mariner analog instruments.  But I have total of 7, SR knot meter, SR depth (not real accurate), SR wind speed, SR wind direction, ST Autohelm, Hummingbird 100X digital FF, and the Garmin 176C plotter.  Plus compass lighting.  I think you can put a lot in the tubes.  Can't speak for the new digital instrument packages that might need more isolation but I don't see how the small amount of amps, volts, used by all this stuff would ever cause "bleed over" between the lines and affect the signals.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA