fuel line removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

I'd appreciate any suggestions for removing 17 year old fuel line from the fuel  tank.  I thought WD-40 might loosen things up or I can simply cut the line (as there is sufficient length to reattach) and scrape the old rubber off the brass fitting. Hoping that there would be some nifty tricks out there.

thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ray & Sandy Erps

Years ago I bought a tool from Sears that they called a cotter pin puller.  It has a screw driver handle, a metal insert in the handle that comes to a tapered point, but the end is bent.  I don't use it for pulling that many cotter pins but I use it all the time for sticking it under the end of a hose once the hose clamp is loosened and working it around the inside of the hose while pulling and twisting on the hose.  Works great on larger diameter hoses.  A small dental style type pick might work good for smaller hoses and your idea of just cutting off the end is probably a good way to handle it too.  If it was a mechanic trying to beat the flat rate manual, that's probably what they would do.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ted Pounds

Ken,

I'd just cut it.  While you're at it check the rest of the fuel lines.  I found some chafe on the run to the engine so I replaced it.  For a few pennies more I replaced the lines to the filter and pump.  Cheap insurance...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Heyman

thanks for the tips. Now, I'm incentivised to perhaps replace all the "crumby" old lines.

Ken
:thumb:
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

My understanding is that the fuel return line is a bit smaller than the 3/8 inch supply line.  While you're at it Ken, could you please confirm the sizes and the lengths of the lines you need so future "replacers" can have an easier time of it?  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : I've replaced my fuel lines on my same as your year boat twice since it was built!!  
I'm sure that you can bend any of your fuel lines 90degrees and find cracks!!  Wrote that up in the Mainsheet MANY times!

The line from the tank is 3/8" while the most of the return line is 5/16", except for about a 6 " line from the last injector to the return line bracket which is 1/4".  
Remove the old lines and take them to the store and and have some new ones cut to length (add a couple of inches).  

Some fuel line trivia:
Gate 4219LC 3/8" line which preforms to SAE J30R7 (fuel line) costs about $15 for a 25 ft roll.
West Marine Shields 350/360 line which preforms to USCG/NMMA SAE J1527 cost $2.89 per ft (3/8" line).  As I recall that spec will withstand an open flame for 2 or 3 minutes -- before the line bursts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788