Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - wind dancer

Pages: [1] 2
1
We've finally decided to put our beloved 1988 C34 on the market here in Seattle.  She is a standard rig, fin keel model, and has many upgrades, including Balmar alternator, Trojan Batteries, refrigeration, stern pulpit seats and more.  I'm hoping to sell her without a broker, so will offer her at $39,900 as is.  We just got back from a trip to the San Juans and sail her regularly.  She's been a fantastic boat and we'll be sad to see her go.

Please contact me at jay(dot)guard(at)gmail.com for more information.

Jay

2
Catalina 34s for Sale / Getting ready to sell in Seattle
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
We're considering selling our 1988 C34 and buying a later model C34 or C36.  Does any one have suggestions on how to go about doing this?  Should we sell her on our own or use a broker?  Spend any money fixing her up further, or keep the selling price low?  She's a good boat, and I've made a number of improvements, upgrades and repairs, but the rigging and rudder are original, the chain-plates and stanchions need rebedding -- typical 23 yr old boat stuff.  Since I'll be buying another boat, and don't want to be boatless in Seattle, I am considering waiting until fall.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

3
Fleet 5 / Heard VHF call from a C34 to Coast Guard today -- any info?
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
We were sailing from Blake Island to Shilshole today, after spending the weekend at Poulsbo. . . .  and we heard a call for assistance on VHF 16 (over 50 miles away) off Lopez Island.  I caught that it was a C34, but not much else.  Anybody know anything?


4
Main Message Board / VHF license
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »
I posted this over in the Fleet 5 forum, but it was recommended that I hit up the entire membership for opinions on this. . .

I am in the process of applying for ship station and operator licenses from FCC.  We are sailing into Victoria, B.C. this summer and plan to hit the Gulf Islands and north every few years.  I know the FCC "requires" these licenses when sailing in foreign waters, but does anybody (customs, coast guard) check this, and is there any benefit to having it? 

Thanks in advance!

Jay

5
Fleet 5 / FCC VHF License
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
I was in the process of applying for a ship station and operator license, as the FCC rules require when travelling to foreign ports (including Canada), and after noticing the hefty fees ($160 for the station license alone) began to wonder: how many people actually bother with these licenses and do Customs or the Coast Guard check for it?

6
Main Message Board / Puget Sound boat yards
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
I'm hauling out Wind Dancer at Seaview in a few weeks to paint the bottom and install new zincs and am shocked at the cost.  Over $500 including tax for haul and pressure wash (which they won't let you do yourself).   Much of this is the $70 environmental fee plus the $102 they charge for pressure washing.  I haven't hauled out since October '07 -- have prices really increased so much?  I used the Port of Everett's facilities last time but don't want to make the 50 mile round trip that weekend.  Are there closer boat yards I should be checking out?

7
Main Message Board / Campbell sailor prop
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »
I installed a 14x8 Campbell Sailor prop last fall when I hauled out for bottom painting.  I have noticed more power in forward gear, and no noticable loss in sailing speed, but I seemed to have lost an incredible amount of control in reverse.  My old 16x10 two blade had much more direction control in reverse.  Has anybody else noticed this?

I've also noticed an increase in vibration under way, probably due to the increased weight and torque from the new prop -- I imagine I need to realign my prop shaft if I keep the heavier prop.  I'm seriously considering going back to the two blade before our summer trip in July. . . . there may be an almost new Campbell on the market soon.

Jay

8
I've finished my work on Wind Dancer and have an opportunity to get her back in the water later this afternoon (which is good timing as a good size wind storm is predicted for tomorrow).  I finished painting the bottom Sunday, but have a couple areas to touch up before lauch -- the bottom of the keel, which has been on a block, and the rudder.  At lunch today, I sanded down my epoxy patches on the rudder (I had drilled holes to drain water), and put a quick coat of West Marine CPP+ (a soft ablative paint) on the areas I sanded.  Is three hours long enough drying time between coats?


9
Main Message Board / Rudder question - filling inspection holes
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
I just pulled my boat for bottom painting, zinc replacement, and to replace my prop.  I noticed some streaking on my rudder, which I ignored when painting the first coat, but when I came back the second day there was more streaking, so i decided to drill a half dozen 1/4" holes to check it out.  Four of the holes were bone dry, but I got about a tablespoon of water out of two of them. 

I know I'll need to replace the rudder at some point, but it's not in the budget right now and the steel inside the rudder appeared intact and rust free (I know where there is water, there's rust. . . ).  Anyway, my question has to do with filling the holes I drilled.  I filled them with git rot, in the hope that it would flow downward through the rudder and fill any gaps there might be.  It mostly drained out of the holes (too viscous and there were no gaps for it to flow down through), so after several hours of drying, I filled the holes with Marine Tex.  Is the Marine Tex going to play well with the not-cured Git Rot?  Also, will I have problems with it sticking to previously painted areas?  I plan on sanding the Marine Tex down and repainting over it -- I'm just worried about making the problem worse.

The water seemed to come from the top of the rudder where the rudder stock enters the rudder.  I also coated that with epoxy (Git Rot since that's what I had) in the hopes that it would limit water ingress.

I guess the good news is that bottom is in decent shape, the prop shaft is straight and the zincs still had life in them (I replaced them anyway, of course).  Gotta look on the bright side. . .




10
Main Message Board / LOA and permanent moorage restrictions
« on: September 12, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »
I have read that the LOA for our boats is 35'8".  I'm considering moving my boat to a 36' slip in a marina that allows no overhang (Shilshole).  I'm pretty sure that my bruce anchor doesn't extend much (3" or so?) beyond the pulpit overhang and the outboard I hang off my stern rail doesn't extend beyond the stern of the boat (Mark I).  Has anyone ever been denied a slip because of the length of their boat?  Have you measured the LOA yourself?  I plan on taking a 25' tape measure down to the boat and roughing it out this weekend or next.

11
Main Message Board / Identifying dinghy
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
How do people normally label/name their dinghys?  My boat is documented, so I don't need to put numbers on her.  Do I just put s/v Wind Dancer on the dinghy? 

12
Main Message Board / Seattle Lofts/Recutting jib
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
Does anyone have a Seattle area loft that they'd recommend for recutting a jib?  I got a quote from North that was over half the cost of new. . . .ouch.

13
Main Message Board / Tech advise needed -- strange engine happenings
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:53:39 PM »
My family and I were heading back from a weekend in Kingston this morning, and (in a Small Craft Advisory, no less) our engine cut back to idle and then died just outside of Shilshole Bay (30 knt gusts).  We through our jib up while I tried to figure out the problem.  Fuel was fine, oil was dirty, but ok, engine temp and water flow were fine.  No obvious problems.  I even checked for air in the fuel line.  At the time this happened we had been heading into the wind (and 4ft swells -- I love that kind of weather, btw) at 3-4kts headway, under full power.  I got the engine started back up fine, but once again, no power.  I was losing headway.  We took the safe way out and accepted assistance from some fine folks with a working power plant, and moored at the Shilshole Marina Fuel dock for a half hour while I further ruminated on the subject.  I then started her up, through her in reverse, then in forward.  No problems at all.  We then proceeded to power through the locks, and opened three bridges on our way back to our moorage with no additional symptoms.

My thoughts:  I possibly had something wrapped around my prop;  my tranny is acting up/overheating (no temp sensor on that one); or I got some backpressure at the exhaust due to the nasty weather (note that everthing worked fine after I was in protected waters).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

14
Main Message Board / Leaking chain plate repair -- winter rains
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:19:17 PM »
My chain plates have started leaking. . . .just in time for the winter rains.  I only plan one more outing before winterizing.  Is it worth trying to dry out the core while it's cold and wet out?  Or would I be better off throwing a tarp up and waiting for spring?

15
Main Message Board / Single Malt Lovers
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »
Ok, this may appeal to only a very small audience, but I've got a question to put to y'all:

Which single malt scotch do you keep on the boat?

The last weekend out I brought along Laphroaig 10yr and am taking a Caol Ila 12 for our next weekend out (Veteran's Day weekend).  As you can see, I enjoy the peaty smokiness of an Islay malt when out on the Sound.  Mmmmmm. . . . . :thumb:

Pages: [1] 2