Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Help Please! I’m completel...
Last post by KeelsonGraham - Yesterday at 12:33:49 PM
Thanks guys. So, it sounds like the catalog part that CD shows is actually wrong?

Am I right that the 5/8th is the outlet from the pump?
Main Message Board / Re: conversion to propane
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 12:31:31 PM
Cliff : The standard transom C34s have the propane bottle in a box that sets on a platform that's on top of the aft water tank. Not sure where the "sugar scoop" transom boats have their propane box??  The box is vented aft thru the transom.

A thought
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 12:25:58 PM
Keel : 5/8" hose is what you need.
I don't know the routing of that hose to the raw water thru hull, but if your hose does NOT make any acute turns you do not need a wire reinforced hose and you can get a replacement hose at an auto parts store!! Heck of a lot cheaper!! $$

Why are you replacing that hose??

A thought
Last post by robbjd - Yesterday at 12:17:08 PM
I think you need 5/8" hose. Your Sherwood pump has 1/2" ports.
Main Message Board / Help Please! I’m completely lo...
Last post by KeelsonGraham - Yesterday at 11:57:21 AM
I think I must be going nuts. I'm trying to replace what I believe to be the hose from the freshwater pump to the HX. That's the hose circled in red in the attached photo? Is that right?

Because if it is, then I ordered the correct part from CD, the hose with a 7/8th in internal diameter. But when I tried to fit it on today it's way too big. The existing pipe is on there at the moment and it fits just fine (with its smaller ID).

I don't have some non-standard HX, so whatever is in there at the moment must be standard. So how in hell is it not a 7/8th ID hose????
Main Message Board / Re: conversion to propane
Last post by Patches - Yesterday at 11:46:53 AM
Hi Cliff:

I also have a Mark 1.25. My boat has the propane locker in the aft seat locker—mounted on the platform on the starboard side.  These can be purchased from Catalina Direct (white with blue top) and take the smaller size propane bottles which can be purchased cheaply at any RV supply place. Mine vents from the locker out through the stern to the swim step.

I've never run out of propane during a standard 3 week cruise.  I carry a spare bottle in the port lazarette just in case.

Patches
Main Message Board / conversion to propane
Last post by crieders - Yesterday at 11:09:02 AM
I still have the original CNG installation
would like to convert to Propane but of course do not have a propane locker and that boat has the simple sugar scoop stern, no walk thru
so where to put it, is my concern. Thanks
Main Message Board / Re: Shore Power Circuit Breake...
Last post by Craig Illman - Yesterday at 03:41:07 AM
Tom - On a boat of your vintage, CTY didn't install a separate breaker (from the panel) closer to the shore power receptacle as specified in in current ABYC standards.

Craig
Main Message Board / Re: Keel Bedding Survey
Last post by KWKloeber - May 15, 2024, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: High Current on May 14, 2024, 08:26:16 PMMy main reason to re-bed NOW would be to preserve integrity of the bolts.  BUT if I weren't going through this process I probably wouldn't be worrying about it...
Correction,
The Main reason ..... IF I EVEN NEED to rebed is...
I don't understand the foregone conclusion that you need to rebed (i.e., the bolts are compromised)?

QuoteDoes it crush the solid glass or only the wood core that I don't have?

at 105 ft-lb = ~10,000 lbf
 ≈ 25 MPa of stress.
But the entire section isn't compressed, just the topmost (floated?) layer of resin gets compromised.

https://www.boatdesign.net/attachments/fiberglass-strength-tests-pdf.148849/
Shows that the compressive strength of cured fiberglass resin is 55-mPa.

For a nominal 3/4" ID washer the stress @ 10,000#f would be ~30-mPa (if the nut doesn't bend the fender washer.)  Close enough to be possible considering that, naturally, strength depends on resin/hardener quality/characteristics and the quality of application.
Main Message Board / Re: ? Sudden overheating?
Last post by KWKloeber - May 15, 2024, 08:32:06 PM
Craig

The more I remotely wrap my feeble brain think about this, the more it leans toward the gauge. 

The Teleflex troubleshooting is checking only two extreme circumstances and nothing in between, like a "norm" midpoint.
It **could** be that the gauge pins high at anything above infinite resistance (when the S terminal is disconnected.)
Or it could read significantly high when the S resistance "says normal."

I couldn't see the forest -- (unless you have access to some resistors in the 50-ohm range to completely bypass the sender,) remove the sender and hook it up to the S and G terminals right at the gauge. 
If she still pins high (and the sender has a reasonable resistance value for the ambient temp,) your gauge is likely kaput. ***

***I say "likely" because it's a boat and we know that there are never any absolutes!