Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Adjust the cable tension f...
Last post by scgunner - Today at 07:22:25 AM
Ron,

Noah is correct if you've got a leak in the aft tank that should be easy to determine. Without using it if you have to keep topping it off every few weeks or couple of months the tank is obviously leaking. If that's the case you also have another problem, the leaking tank will fill the pan that it sits in and when the boat heels the water runs to that side comes forward and leaks through the bottom of the bulkhead into the aft cabin. It's also possible if you haven't changed the cockpit drain hoses that could be the culprit, when I changed mine I don't know if they were leaking but they were badly cracked.

On the "Scag Dimple" (I actually had two) there was some really nasty standing water in mine. Using epoxy and filler I faired mine in so the bottom is smooth and any water now simply runs down to the bilge.
Main Message Board / Re: New fuel tank
Last post by waughoo - Yesterday at 11:16:11 PM
Excellent milestone Antoni!!  I'm excited to hear of the first fill up.
Last post by Patches - Yesterday at 09:28:42 PM
Hey Antoni:

We will also be sailing around Vancouver Island this summer.  Leaving August 24 from Bainbridge Island and will be going counter-clockwise.

When I made the trip in 2016, the first fuel after rounding Cape Scott turned out to be at Esperanza on the NE corner of Nootka Island.  We were very happy to learn they had fuel there after we topped up in Port Hardy.  Nothing was available in Winter Harbor or Kyuquot in mid September.  Doubling the factory fuel capacity goes a long way on that coast—and in Mexico too.  Great upgrade.

Patches
Last post by LogoFreak - Yesterday at 09:01:44 PM
Wow, a year since I last posted  :?

To say things move slowly is an understatement! Finally got a good test fit done today. Should have it buttoned up within the next couple of weeks, just in time for season start!
Last post by Noah - Yesterday at 05:50:52 PM
Ron—really? From the freshwater tank? Not rain, through any number of hatches, vents, etc? I would think it would be "easy" to eliminate the aft tank as the culprit?
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 03:03:51 PM
Jim : We're off the topic, but I've tried to find the source of that water in the "Scag Dimple" for 30 years??  Being fresh water I'm convinced that it's from the aft water tank, but I'm NOT going thru all of the work to pull that aft tank just to find out.

A few thoughts
Last post by Jim Hardesty - Yesterday at 02:21:22 PM
QuoteWhile were on this topic of 'water' do you happen to know where rain water is coming in and settling in the 'dimple' aft of the P bracket?  I always find water pooled there in the spring until I get the cockpit enclosure up, and keep thinking it's the emergency rudder cover as I can't see anywhere else that would let that much water in.

First season with Shamrock had that.  Changed the emergency rudder cover O-ring and resealed hatch.  Problem solved. Was able to get O-ring at local hardware store. Also covered the cover with white nonskid tape.  Cooler and of course less slipping.
While you're at it, I recommend you hook up your emergency rudder.  Best to have any bugs worked out before an actual steering failure.   
Jim
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 10:36:34 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on Yesterday at 12:58:31 AMCorrect.

Mann, it's so nice to see "freshwater" steering!

LOL. I know! When I see the saltwater photos, I'm always surprised at how much corrosion can occur.

While were on this topic of 'water' do you happen to know where rain water is coming in and settling in the 'dimple' aft of the P bracket?  I always find water pooled there in the spring until I get the cockpit enclosure up, and keep thinking it's the emergency rudder cover as I can't see anywhere else that would let that much water in.
Main Message Board / Re: Keel to Hull join flaking....
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 10:32:33 AM
Quote from: Jim Hardesty on Yesterday at 04:06:27 AM
QuoteI go over the engine every spring and make sure the hose clamps are snug. Never an issue during the season.  It's about 2 cups.

Is the coolant low in the expansion (recovery) tank or in the engine itself? If it's the expansion tank look for a crack in the plastic tank, may have to remove it to get a good look.  If it's the engine pressure check like Ken said.  It's an easy test.  May not be so easy to find.
Jim   

Expansion tank in the cockpit lazarette is pretty much empty by spring, stays full all through the warm months.   It was cracked as I had coolant in the lazerette for a year, and I figured that it was damaged with all the stuff coming in and out of the lazarette and changed it (after tightening the clamps etc, no change).  That fixed the coolant in the lazarette, but not the bilge.

I asked around the marina, and apparently I'm not the only universal engine that does this.  We've got a number of Catalina's here and most people have some; others none.  Other folks with M35 engine saw the same thing, evidence of coolant on the port side, mid point of the engine, on the floor between the engine supports.

I rang the local diesel mechanic and he immediately asked me if it was a Universal... said he's managed to correct it on only 2 engines over the years, and has talked to Universal and they only said it was likely a fitting somewhere that is contracting with the cold.

Noone seemed uninformed that I spoke to. If anything a number of people have been trying to figure this out over the years.

I have no explanation for this, or why some people have it and some don't, assuming all maintenance has been done.

Anyways, I'll give the engine a good once over, and see if I can find any 'trails', and if that doesn't work I'll see about the pressure test.

Main Message Board / Re: Keel to Hull join flaking....
Last post by Jim Hardesty - Yesterday at 04:06:27 AM
QuoteI go over the engine every spring and make sure the hose clamps are snug. Never an issue during the season.  It's about 2 cups.

Is the coolant low in the expansion (recovery) tank or in the engine itself? If it's the expansion tank look for a crack in the plastic tank, may have to remove it to get a good look.  If it's the engine pressure check like Ken said.  It's an easy test.  May not be so easy to find.
Jim