Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: interior paint/ fixing a b...
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 12:20:47 AM
Hey Alex

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forum/off-topic/general-discussion-off-topic/6498-amperage-diet-sort-of
https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forum/discussion-topics/general-interest/4478-interior-lighting

ND discusses the lighting in those threads.  He had pics somewhere of the boat when he gutted it before refitting the interior and converting the traditional saloon to the dinette layout.

He fabricated the fiberglass wire channel for his puck lights because as you probably know the 70s had the wiring buried in the fiberglass deck (what could possibly go wrong with that?)

The pics were his original halogen puck lights but he's since LED'd the lighting.

Questions?  The last emails I have are:
nduttonc30@yahoo.com
neil@duttonengineering.com
Last post by waughoo - Yesterday at 11:05:52 PM
Ken,

That is the CLEANEST C-30 I have EVER seen!!! And a 70's boat to boot!?!  Snaps to Dutton for a fantastic boat!!

PS... if he did a write up on his overhead lights, I'd love to read about the install.
Last post by KWKloeber - Yesterday at 10:21:50 PM
Dan:

Reposted from a C-30 owner.  Caveat:  Neil Dutton is a perfectionist and anal and does the best work on his boat that I have ever seen by far.  (In a previous life he worked for a couple f boat manufacturers.)  Dutton; Duttoned is a noun and an adjective and a verb; used when an owner does a project exceptionally well - That's a "Dutton" : That's a Dutton light installation : He "Duttoned" those cushions.

I will also say that my Bro swears by Insul-X Cabinet Coat and is his hard-as-nails, go-to paint.
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/isc/insl-x-specialty-coatings

-Ken

nduttonc30                                        2016-11-01   msg #93966   
My surface prep was a good acetone scrubbing.  Sanding was only done where holes from the previous owner were patched (200 of them, he had a fetish for cup hooks and screwed down ty-wraps).
I sprayed Rustoleum gloss white with an HVLP gravity feed gun, absolutely necessary for spraying overhead.  Thinning the paint to spray knocked down the gloss to more like a satin finish.  Just this weekend I appreciated another benefit to my choice of paint.  I had some discoloration on my forward dinette seat panels so finding a matching color paint was as simple as a visit to the local home center paint department.  Rustoleum is still a good, high solids oil based paint and has held up well on my interior for over 10 years.  Here's another tip: being oil based you can add cobalt drier (aka Japan drier) to the paint to act like a catalyst.  Depending on the temperature the paint will tack off within an hour.  Works with varnish too.  Ratio of drier to paint is one capful to a quart.

With the texture of the overhead and hull ceiling*, spraying is really the only way to get a decent finish.

* Check out exactly what ceiling means on a boat.  Not the same as in your home.

Neil
Kalina, 1977 C-30 #600
San Pedro, CA
I have:

Oil pan and dipstick tube -- Unused.

The pan fits all M-25 and XP/XPA/XPA(C) , but is like the pan on the EARLY M-25s -- it does not have the boss for the oil drain hose banjo. 
It never bothers me because I use a sucker and get 99.9% of the oil out, more than ones with the drain hose mounted mid-pan.
A welder could add the boss. 
Alternately, with your pans accessible, I would add a drain plug on the bottom rear of the pan.  Anyway, YBYC

The Universal cost is $800 for the pair, sell $500 for both.  NEW, never used -- the oil pan ITSELF from Westerbeke is $567.
The dipstick tube is no longer available from any dealer I am told so I'd like to sell together, but if anyone really needs one or the other, I'd consider breaking them up.  I'll throw in new gaskets if you take both.

Gear Cover - perfectly good, used like-new condition

Gear cover (mistakenly called timing cover) for the M-25 and XP/XPA/XPA(C).
These sold for $1,262 but are are no longer available.  Sell $500.

Ken

<<email via the link to left or
Ken <at> WeekendRProducts <dot> com
Main Message Board / Replacing part of a bulkhead
Last post by melp64 - Yesterday at 05:10:26 PM
The bulkhead in the head was so water damaged I had to cut it out and replace it with new plywood. My plan is to tab it together with strips of fiberglass. Right now I have it fitted really tight and I am worried that maybe it will squeak. I couldn't tell from the old one if it was tight or loose as it was rotten.
Once I get it attached I plan to cover all the areas in the head with FRP board giving it a clean and waterproof panel for the shower areas.sorry about the sideways pics I couldn't figure out how to rotate IMG_4983.jpgIMG_5020.jpgIMG_4985.jpg
Main Message Board / interior paint/ fixing a bulkh...
Last post by melp64 - Yesterday at 04:51:39 PM
First I have used the search function to search this site to see if anyone has ever painted the inside of their boat? I came up with thousands of things that had paint or interior paint but not what I was looking for.
My question is has anyone ever painted the interior of their boat If they did was there a certain kind of paint or procedure that had to be done before painting?
I have worked my way out of the boat refinishing all the teak. I have even started to refinish the teak on the outside
Main Message Board / Re: ? Sudden overheating?
Last post by KWKloeber - Yesterday at 04:21:41 PM
Don't play whack-a-mole with parts.  Confirm, then buy

Remove the sender and hook it up to the S and G terminals right at the gauge.
If she still pins high (and the sender has a reasonable resistance value for the ambient temp,) THEN replace your gauge
Main Message Board / Re: ? Sudden overheating?
Last post by Schulcb - Yesterday at 11:03:10 AM
Thanks for "staying in the game".  The gauge is the only thing that hasn't been replaced or bypassed.  I'll order from from CD and report back once installed.

Main Message Board / Re: JMP Raw Water Pump?
Last post by KWKloeber - Yesterday at 10:23:59 AM
@ Breakin

Do you have an update on the JMP pump?
Catalina 34s for Sale / 1988 C-34 WK for sale
Last post by m.pussycat - May 24, 2024, 07:45:39 AM
1988 Catalina 34 Wing Keel $47,500
all suggested upgrades done, new hoses etc, etc, etc.
Autohem 4000 wheel drive with rudder indicator
Garmin 740S Chart Plotter
Garmin 18HD Radar on pole
Radio Standard Horizon GX2400 with remote mic
2x100W solar panel
464 Amp Hours of house battery
separate start battery
100 Amp alternator
3 stage external alternator controller
Balmar Duo Charger to charge start battery
separate battery switch for start battery
Xantrex 20A battery charger with remote
Xantrex LinkPro Battery monitor
all wires now have fuses and all added wiring is tinned (over $500 in wire)
Negative bus bar mounted near engine
grinder pump for galley sink
Mermaid 16,500 AC with condensator
Vitrifrigo refrigeration for Ice box  110v/12v
900w microwave
1,500 watt inverter
Swim Platform
Davits
Rockna 15 anchor with 25' of chain & 300' rode
Fortress anchor w/15' chain and 100' rode
New Rigging
Boom rebuilt, powder coated and now 10/1 purchase