fuel leak under motor?

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl Miller

There is a significant amount of pink fluid in the absorbent pad under the motor (see the attached picture).  The fluid appears to have been sprayed onto the pad which seems to mean it is under pressure.  I can't tell if it is fuel or transmission fluid, both of which are pink.  I have traced the fuel line from the tank to the pump and could not find an obvious leak.  Any suggestions?
I will have to see a mechanic but I would like to have some idea of what the problem is.  My luck with competant mechanics has not been good.
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

Ron Hill

Earl  : You need to wipe everything clean with 409 or windex.  Then get a clean fuel pad and run the engine for 30/40 minutes.  Diesel and transmission fluid may be both red, but diesel smells like diesel!!  Then wipe areas of the engine with paper towels until you find the leak.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Earl Miller

Just to finish this thread off .... the leak was a hairline crack in the thin piping on the fuel return rail next to the aft injector.  The fuel dripped down the back of the block next to the transmission seal and on to the absorbent pad.  I had a new fuel return rail installed and all is well.
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

Ron Hill

Earl : Good for you!!  It's sometimes easier and much cheaper to find and fix the problem yourself. 
You're now primed to solve even bigger problems.  As General McArthur said, "There's no substitute for Victory"!! 
Good show!  :clap 
Ron, Apache #788