Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Oil/temp warning
Last post by Breakin Away - Today at 03:50:50 PM
You need to verify with 100% certainty that the mechanic installed the correct oil pressure sensor. Some models are fail-open, others are fail-close. I can't remember which is which, but this issue came up when I had to replace the oil sensor on my M35BC. Installing the wrong one would behave just like "a short in the wiring harness." For this particular item, I would look up the Westerbeke part number for your M35BC engine and get only a genuine Westerbeke part. That's what I did, although I had a very hard time finding someone who had it in stock.

Also, no offense to our Mk1 friends here, but for this particular topic I would be very careful about following any Tech notes for older boats unless you verify that they used the same type of oil pressure switch. Make sure that everyone understands the specifics of your vintage of engine.

Here's a discussion from my own personal experience, with lots of valuable suggestions from others: https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9214.0.html
Main Message Board / Re: engine control cable
Last post by ghebbns - Today at 03:22:58 PM
My advice to you is to replace the throttle at the same time.  It is not a fun or easy job and it is best to get both done so you won't have to do it again soon.
Main Message Board / Re: Keel Bedding Survey
Last post by Ron Hill - Today at 02:14:52 PM
Ken : Maybe I haven't seen it in "a second", but I've seen it start in a few days!! That 5600 Lb. wing keel

stays put when it's on the ground!!

A thought
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 08:29:02 AM
Quote from: dclintonbaker on Today at 07:02:25 AMI'm not sure if the image was attached to my last posting. I'm new to this board.

Nope, no pic.
You can always verify by signing onto the forum.  Attachments and embedded images are not included in the emails send out.
Last post by dclintonbaker - Today at 07:02:25 AM
I'm not sure if the image was attached to my last posting. I'm new to this board.
Last post by dclintonbaker - Today at 06:44:52 AM
Does have the original Westerbeke harness.
Here is picture of the new oil pressure switch. My mistake it has 2 connections.
Last post by KWKloeber - Yesterday at 03:42:58 PM
Ron mon ami, are you saying that you have personally witnessed your smile occurring "in one second"?   All I have heard is that it was always claimed to occur over off-season storage, not "immediately."

I wonder how CTY's would square its explanation of the cause with the smile on my keel being at the aft end?  Too much weight on the nose of the keel perhaps?  More CTY fantasy.

I agree that it probably doesn't take an M.E. -- in order to deduce that the hefty hull/keel stub box-beam section (below) between the nose and the first bolt, will not bend in the short distance in front of the first bolt. 

(M.E.s deal with moving objects, eivil/structural engineers deal with
mechanics/statics/strength of materials and stress/strain/bending under load.)
Main Message Board / Re: M25XP Flywheel to cranksha...
Last post by britinusa - Yesterday at 03:20:23 PM
Thanks Ken.

DUH!

:thumb:

I think that also answers my last question about the Torque setting for the Hex Cap Screws that hold the plate in place.

Paul
Main Message Board / Re: Sourcing a Damper Plate
Last post by britinusa - Yesterday at 03:14:38 PM
I know this topic is nearly 4 years old but still relevant.

I have my new damper plate and it fits. However Took a bit of Googling, but I think I found the correct torque for the Hex Cap Screws that secure the damper plate to the flywheel.

The screws are    "298458   M5 x 12 Cap screw Din 912"

I found one resource indicating that the torque should be 10Nm.

I'll have to get a torque wrench for that. I have a digital torque driver up to 6Nm and a larger one but not 10Nm.

Just wondered if anyone could confirm the 10Nm Torque setting.

Paul
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:17:02 PM
Guys : It doesn't take a Mechanical Engineer to have a travel lift operator set the boat down and improperly set the hull so you have a "Catalina Smile" in a second!! All he has to do is set the keel on the ground and let the hull rock back!!    :cry4`

A thought