Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: New fuel tank
Last post by Ron Hill - Today at 02:52:21 PM
Antoni : If Mexico is anything like the Bahamas - good RO water was 3/4 times the price of diesel!!

A thought
Main Message Board / Re: New Stainless Steel Deck F...
Last post by Ron Hill - Today at 02:35:50 PM
Guys : The only cap that needs to be "winch handle tight" is the fuel cap !! I just tighten the wtar and waste caps finger tight!!  I replaced the fuel with a SS cap & fitting!!

A thought
Main Message Board / Re: Opening the boom
Last post by Pete G - Today at 10:45:00 AM
Thanks, Ron.  It's easy to go overboard.  Pun intended.  I'm replacing the line with the upgrade from Catalina Direct.

Pete
Main Message Board / Re: Teak trim
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 08:18:07 AM
Quote from: Roland Gendreau on Yesterday at 05:47:52 PMPaulus,
Where did you buy the teak for the trim pieces? Could you get the same thickness?
how did you fashion the convex exdges, if not with a router?
I need to replace both of my trim pieces due to cracks.

Roland

ROLAND

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtzksOgzAMBNC7dNONu0ggVD1DD4GCMxK0gSCHjyrl8DWIjTV-si37sPmJEcq9mHIra4bkGazte__GhA6i3Mk5YKiqqDJkG6o1ODI1uZrsk0xDRuuLXEPWknO6lPu0t5zGOWLBdT-v3Qe8tGmKP6VDkiyaBBHnJxe1YRDlgMyHwAv32vP8GL0ME_4k3EAB

Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 07:59:47 AM
I color coded my black, vintage '84, plastic caps using rattle can paint for plastic.

No UV problem.
CD won't provide that tip!
Main Message Board / Re: M25XP Flywheel to cranksha...
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 07:53:00 AM
Paul

https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals#Universal_M-25.2C_M-25XP.2C_and_A-series_engines_.28M-25XPA.2FXPA.28C.29.3B_M-35A.2F35A.28C.29.29

The Service Manual, Workshop Manual, and Service Manual describes it and the last two have pictures of the butt end of the crankshaft/flywheel.

Then return to the parts manual and see p/n 299506, do a facepalm, and say Ohhhhh!! aloud.
Main Message Board / M25XP Flywheel to crankshaft c...
Last post by britinusa - Today at 05:16:15 AM
I'm working on replacing the Damper plate on my 1987 C34 M25-XP, I have no info about any previous replacment.

My very well respected mechanic that is very familiar with C34's and Universal Engines - suggested that the noise made by the engine in a range of RPM is probably the damper plate. He also commented on how it should be changed out about every 1500 hours - we have over 6000 hours on our engine.

I have downloaded the Parts Manual for the M25XP engine but I do not see how the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft.

It's not that I need to remove the flywheel, I'm just curious about it. Anyone know how the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft  - drawings or pictures would be a bonus.

TIA
Last post by ewengstrom - Today at 03:18:06 AM
Brian,
Our 88 had some pretty sad caps on them when we bought her so I went ahead and ordered the SS caps from CD. I'm like Noah who doesn't appreciate them stamping their company name into the cap...but it is what it is.
I did find that the one for the starboard water tank tended to bottom out before I could feel the O-ring engage. For some reason CD had them made with a safety chain that is supposed to attach to....well.....I'm not sure.  :?
There is a small attachment point made directly into the bottom of the cap and I found that even when I'd removed the chain and screw that held it, the mount itself still contacted the shoulder inside the fill, stopping the cap from seating correctly. Since I couldn't use the chain anyway I ground this mount off and now all four work like a charm. I specifically remember this being a problem on the starboard water tank, definitely not the aft tank as the fill is 1-1/2" so there was more room to work with and this modification wasn't necessary. Same goes for the diesel fill and the waste port. Those fittings are all bigger, it was only that starboard tank fill that gave me fits.
Other than the above, they work well and I for one like them.
Last post by Clarian - Yesterday at 08:02:04 PM
Hi All,

Have a new to me '86 Catalina 34. Looking to replace my diesel, waste, and water (2) caps which are very overdue.  Have these stainless steel replacement from Catalina Direct worked well for everyone? 

Learning a lot from everyone here, looking to contribute too!

Brian
1986 MK1
Winthrop, MA

Main Message Board / Re: Teak trim
Last post by Paulus - Yesterday at 06:28:15 PM
The engineering firm that does all the teak work for Tara Yachts had the teak and they also cut them to size and put the concave edge on each one. This firm is about 10 miles from my home.  I had used them before to make new eyebrows.