Deck Covering

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

On my 1987, hull 367, the areas of the deck that get a lot of wear from walking is starting to show fiberglass through the coating.  Ours is a gray color.  It needs to be recovered.  Has any body tried Lemar Treadmaster Smooth Traction deck Covering, a 1/8 inch thick foam type covering that is applied with a two part epoxy???  Just wondering if it holds up and how well it wears and the ease of cleaning.

Ralph
Ciao bella :clap
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

Sail magazine just did an article on synthetic teak for decks.   It has some interesting stuff and I am considering using FlexiTeek for the decks on my daysailor.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Joe Kern

I actually thought it would look good in the cockpit floor area.  I hate how dirty the grey non-skid gets.  I would not want to do the decks or other areas so maybe it would not look good in just that area, but I was thinking of playing around with photoshop just to see.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe Kern

Saw this on their website.  Sort of what I was thinking although maybe just the cabin sole
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ted Pounds

I think it would look good even if you only did the sole.  It would be like the teak grate I had in my 34.  I plan to do the seats too, but I think the only the sole would be fine.  If  you do it let us know how it works out.  I will do the same if I get around to it first.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Lance Jones

Are yous guys talking cabin or cockpit sole? At Annapolis this year I saw they had a glossy, smooth version for interior work. Went in just like a regular hard wood floor. The exterior stuff, as pictured, is actually sort of rough. In fact, the way you refresh the smooth glossy wear areas is to scuff it with a Scotch pad.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

Well I was thinking of cockpit sole.  And based on the title of the thread I assumed everyone else is too.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Michael Shaner

QuoteOn my 1987, hull 367, the areas of the deck that get a lot of wear from walking is starting to show fiberglass through the coating.

Ralph,

If I'm correctly thinkin' what your sayin', have a peek at this...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/Uploads/Ew22Nonskid.pdf

My understanding is there are a multitude of flexible molds available to match most non-skid patterns, certainly one to match ours. I suspect tinting the gel coat to match the existing gray color would be the most difficult part...  :think
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Why is it that most Benty toys do not have dodgers?  Could it be the lack of dodgers?  :shock:

Unless there is a good reason to add extra teak where none existed before, then there are ways to repair the existing non-skid, with finishes and colors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

It's not teak and is as maintenance free as the non-skid.  I just think it would look good and certainly not as dirty as the light gray nonskid I have gets.  If it was an easy dyi and affordable I might try it.  The website does not make it seem either but I am not sure. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

It does look easy. However, I wonder what happens to standing water? Will it eventually work under the fake teak and cause water issues with the gelcoat?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622