Aft water tank removal Good news & Bad news

Previous topic - Next topic

suereal

Good News!

Thanks again to all. I really appreciate your advice.

Luckily, I was able to get our local (there's only one here in San Carlos MX) diesel mechanic and general boat guru to disconnect all the major impediments for me from the aft lazarette. It took all of about 20 minutes. There's times it's good not to be 6'5". We raised the boat with the hydroelectric trailer and with much pounding, pushing and pulling broke the shaft free from the aluminum emergency tiller cap.

Bad News!!

The rudder post is corroded at the base where it enters the top of the rudder and there's signs of corrosion about 10" up the shaft. I have a couple of choices:

1. Take the rudder apart and import a new shaft rebuild the rudder and reinstall.

2. Buy a new rudder.

Seaclusion in old, 1986, but in generally good health. She still has her original rudder and I'm wondering if replacing what I have w an elliptical rudder makes sense. I've read most of the posts in this board most of which was written about 10 yrs ago it seems.

I'm wondering if any of you have any brilliant thoughts on this.

Thanks again for your  input.

Dave
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
C34 #364, M25 XP #37 Oshkosh,WI
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx

KWKloeber

Dave

I recalled seeing what Ron did to retrofit
https://www.c34.org/projects/projects-rudder-modification.htm

How bad is the corrosion? Pix? Is the second area in a critical location?

If there's not water intrusion into the core, could the corroded surface of the rudder stock be resurfaced using devcon to save what you have and do a retrofit to elliptical?

I'm cheap and always trying to fix over replace  8)

PS- I think there's a typo in your signature tag line!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ted Pounds

Bite the bullet and buy a new elliptical rudder. You'll love the improvement in rudder authority.  And you're much less likely have some hidden problem that could lead to failure. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Dave : I agree with Ted. 
Your 37 year old rudder is bound to have water intrusion and if its been in salt water the iron grid inside is corroded!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

suereal

K.W., Please see attached photos. It appears the post is rusted through in a couple of places. While I'd actually like to try and rebuild the rudder I think that for peace of mind I may be better off finding one professionally built one. Being in Mexico, it's often a process getting materials and finding a reasonable place to work and getting work done. I'm not a welder and not sure this is the project to learn on. Thanks for the heads up on the quote!

Which leads me to my question of any ideas about where to buy one? I've looked at Catalina Direct they're asking about $4,000.00. Does anyone know of any legitimate affordable alternatives?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Yeah that's a little more than surface corrosion!
Might ask the CTY factory?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dave : Looking at the picture, it appears to me that you might have had some electroless that caused the erosion of the SS column!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

suereal

Ron,

Your observation is probably spot on. I believe the boat has been in this area for over 20 yrs and while she spent quite a bit of time cruising her slip has always been in San Carlos. I don't believe the awareness about stray voltage is quite as prevalent here as in the states and Canada.

Thanks, I'll check out my options.

Dave
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion

scgunner

Dave,

That's nothing I'd reinstall on my boat. Once the corrosion gets all the way through it's only a matter of time. That Catalina rudder is probably built by Foss if not I wouldn't expect it to be less expensive. After looking at their website a simple formula comes to mind, sailboat+custom+racing=$$$$. If you wanna play you gotta pay.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

The "elliptical" rudders that Catalina Direct is selling are built by Rudder Craft, not Foss.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ted Pounds

I have a Rudder Craft rudder on my Gloucester 19.  They do good work. 👍
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

kh3412

Bought mine two years ago from Catalina.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

waughoo

KH3412,

Is that rudder the upgraded elliptical shoal draft? 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

suereal

I've contacted Foos, Catalina Direct, Catalina Yachts and Rudder Craft.

Rudder Craft makes the rudders for Catalina Direct so they're the same rudder. I spoke w Jason and he seems very knowledgeable. They're construction is some different than the others in that instead of injected a fiberglass mold, they lay up closed cell foam board and then shape the rudder halves, fiberglass that and post and webbing together, then layup the fiberglass exterior. It's the elliptical design and they claim it works well.

Catalina Yachts, has yet to get back to me now going on 3 days. They have to check and see if they have the molds.

Foss has the molds and can build one the traditional way, by injection I assume. They are on the east coast having it shipped to AZ may be problematic. Plus, he's having a hip replacement shortly and apparently that will slow things down.

Does anyone have experience w Rudder Craft? I assume they're a good product.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion