Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Leaking Lewmar port lights
Last post by Ron Hill - September 18, 2024, 03:35:30 PM
dcl : Spray all of your gasket with silicone spray. It will keep them nimble!!

I always use some silicone spray on the windshield wipers of my autos. After spraying you need to leave the auto blades set for a few weeks. I have two pair. One on the shelf sprayed and the other on the auto!

A few thoughts 

Main Message Board / Re: Leaking Lewmar port lights
Last post by Jim Hardesty - September 18, 2024, 08:47:59 AM
As regular spring maintenance, I clean the gaskets with a little alcohol on a soft cloth then a wipe a very thin coating of "Super Lube".  That works for me.
Jim 
Main Message Board / Leaking Lewmar port lights
Last post by dclintonbaker - September 18, 2024, 08:39:47 AM
Catalina 34 Mk II hull number 1700. Extended summer trip we noted many of the port lights were dripping water into the cabin. I have scrubbed the rubber gasket on all of them and that seems to have helped but two of them still leak. I believe the leak is coming under the rubber gasket. Has anyone tried increasing the thickness of the gasket by running a thin O-ring like material as a loop behind the gasket?
Main Message Board / Re: Do you know what's Fun
Last post by melp64 - September 16, 2024, 06:36:57 PM
What a difference it makes under the sink not to mention all those old nasty pipes are gone. I wanted all this done before my countertops are done.
Last post by waughoo - September 16, 2024, 03:37:18 PM
I like it.  I plan to do the same but out of Uponor/pex A
Catalina 34s for Sale / Why a Broker Is You
Last post by Steventep - September 16, 2024, 08:33:10 AM
Cheers for producing a useful and also pleasurable webpage. I truly anticipate to info when the time a occasion arises itself! Kudos again for giving this accessible to the globe!

The Realtor Benefit for Fast Home Listings b9f82cc
Main Message Board / Re: New propellor - Campbell S...
Last post by Robert Mann - September 15, 2024, 08:43:39 PM
Pbyrne, one or two things to remember, if you are installing the prop. You will need to lap the prop taper to the shaft. Use fine valve grinding compound. Get a tube of Engineers Blue apply a very small amount to the shaft to check that the tapers are mating properly. When the tapers are close the prop will stick hard to the shaft and you might need a puller to separate them.  Do not let a boat yard beat your props off with a hammer. This can damage the transmission bearings, never mind other parts.  This is a common practice. My shaft is stainless, which replaced the standard bronze one, which the PO damaged when one wing of his folder stuck! The shaft was butchered to fit the Martec prop. This caused me to have to redrill the shaft to allow the cotter pin to be installed. Be prepared when you remove your prop in case similar issues have occurred.
Last post by Robert Mann - September 15, 2024, 06:57:01 PM
Noah, I don't disagree with you. The points are purely related to the prop the PO of my boat installed. The Martec I had was about the most basic of its kind.
Last post by melp64 - September 15, 2024, 03:34:40 PM
When I was building houses all the plumbing was copper. Now its Pex and to tell you the truth pretty darn easy. I ran all the pex to the anchor locker and set up the hot and cold manifolds. I was even able to pipe hot and cold to the head. I have the cold manifold connected to the output of the pump.
I think it will take one more weekend and Ill have all the plumbing completed.
Last post by Noah - September 15, 2024, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: Robert Mann on September 15, 2024, 12:23:23 PMhowever I consider the improvement in idle setting, the less hammering on the shaft and skeg shift from forward to astern.

Not sure if those points are valid with all folding props? I have a 3-blade Flexofold" and have not experienced those "downsides"