Radar Pole Base

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

Below is a picture of the base of my radar pole. As you see the base rides on top of the stanchion base. This causes the base not to sit flat. The PO put washer and a lot of RTV. I do not want to do that.
So I want to make a spacer to raise the base of the radar pole to be even with the base of the stanchion. Question.

What should I make this spacer out of?
1)StainLess steel
2)wood (teak)
3)marineboard
4)Other

Thanks
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

patrice

Hi
Why not just mark the radar base where it's over the stansion, and grind this corner out.
Then both will sit nice on deck.
No need for spacer.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Brad Young

Great Idea! I am a little concerns about the width of the wall of the bottom let hole. Any thoughts on how thin it can go?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Fred Koehlmann

Hey Brad,

Patrice makes a good point, assuming that you want it sitting flush with that part of the desk. It would definitely get you a closer fit. What the photo does not show however is if that part of the deck is flat with the horizion, or if it slopes. Your mast should be perpendicular with the horizon, and if that part of the deck is sloped outboard, then boosting the outboard end of the base might have been about keeping the mast straight vertically???

If you were going with  a base, I would conside the Starboard material or some other polyethylene or vinyl board, but only size them to the exact size so minimal UV gets on them.

Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Jim Hardesty

Brad,
Something that I've seen not done.  Build up the deck with epoxy under the base.  This would make a flat raised pad for the base.  The way I saw it done.  The area was sanded.  A dam was made with modeling clay and waxed thin boards.  Then thickened epoxy was poured about 1/4 inch above the deck. Then painted for UV protection.  When it was done, looked like the factory did it.  This fixed a recuring leaking problem.
Don't know if this helps with your problem.  Just something to think about.   
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

I'd just grind off that one small corner of the base where it overlaps and rebed with butyl tape.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987