Adjust the cable tension for steering quadrant

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Ron—really? From the freshwater tank? Not rain, through any number of hatches, vents, etc? I would think it would be "easy" to eliminate the aft tank as the culprit?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Ron,

Noah is correct if you've got a leak in the aft tank that should be easy to determine. Without using it if you have to keep topping it off every few weeks or couple of months the tank is obviously leaking. If that's the case you also have another problem, the leaking tank will fill the pan that it sits in and when the boat heels the water runs to that side comes forward and leaks through the bottom of the bulkhead into the aft cabin. It's also possible if you haven't changed the cockpit drain hoses that could be the culprit, when I changed mine I don't know if they were leaking but they were badly cracked.

On the "Scag Dimple" (I actually had two) there was some really nasty standing water in mine. Using epoxy and filler I faired mine in so the bottom is smooth and any water now simply runs down to the bilge.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

pbyrne

Quote from: scgunner on May 01, 2024, 07:22:25 AMRon,

Noah is correct if you've got a leak in the aft tank that should be easy to determine. Without using it if you have to keep topping it off every few weeks or couple of months the tank is obviously leaking. If that's the case you also have another problem, the leaking tank will fill the pan that it sits in and when the boat heels the water runs to that side comes forward and leaks through the bottom of the bulkhead into the aft cabin. It's also possible if you haven't changed the cockpit drain hoses that could be the culprit, when I changed mine I don't know if they were leaking but they were badly cracked.

On the "Scag Dimple" (I actually had two) there was some really nasty standing water in mine. Using epoxy and filler I faired mine in so the bottom is smooth and any water now simply runs down to the bilge.

Filling the 'dimples' in was something I was considering as well.  They don't serve any purpose other than to provide a breeding ground for things I don't want on the boat!
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

waughoo

Logo Freak just did this during his new fuel tank job.  He used spray foam to fill it, shaved it flat and ran a few layers of glass over it.  I REALLY wish I had when I rebuilt my water tank shelf.  It is a challenging spot to get to for cleaning.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : My 1988 boat the aft water tank is NOT setting in a pan!! The simplest thing to go is fill the "scag dimple" like some have done, and say THWI!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

I've filled in those "skag dimples", used closed cell expanding foam and layed up glass over those areas. Switching the stainless steel cables for dyneema instead to not have dissimilar metals (SS cables/aluminium quadrant).
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179