Voltage gaue reading

Previous topic - Next topic

dave7167

Hello, I know that this has been discussed but for the life of me I can't find any information on this. I have a 2000 C34, my voltage gauge in the instrument cluster is reading 16-17 at start then rises above 18 volts. I don't remember what the reading was last year. My question is what should the normal reading be. I do suspect that it should not read that high, I have replaced the batteries and have installed a new 65 amp alternator but have the original battery charger. What is the next thing I should be looking at to rectify this potential issue.

Thanks,
Dave
P.S. Please be kind I am a rookie at this!!

Ron Hill

Dave : Sounds to me as though you've got a bad Volt meter.  You can call Teleflex and order a new one or you can remove that one and test it on a battery against a multi meter.
If you call Teleflex be sure you tell them you have a "domed" instrument.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

Dave: I sounds like your alt is outputting maximum voltage because it's not sensing voltage at the battery because the voltage sensing wire is disconnected.

mark_53

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 23, 2018, 09:08:32 AM
Dave : Sounds to me as though you've got a bad Volt meter.  You can call Teleflex and order a new one or you can remove that one and test it on a battery against a multi meter.
If you call Teleflex be sure you tell them you have a "domed" instrument.

A thought
Before buying a new volt meter, you can confirm the output with another volt meter.

dave7167

Thanks Ron and Mark for the quick responses I will have the volt meter tested.

scgunner

Dave,

If this helps, when I start the motor the voltmeter shows 10v when depressing the glow plug button, after the motor fires the meter settles in at around 14v plus or minus, that's been about my max range. I would think if your batteries were getting a charge of 18v the cells would be boiling.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273