I am looking at a sail that is:
luff= 45'4"
foot= 17'
leech=42'

will this work for a 135 on a roller furling/

If not cut it be cut to fit?
Thanks

dave davis

In order to determine if your sail will measure in as a 135%, you have to get the LP dimention. A 135% will have a LP of 18.23'. This number is the product of the "J" times 1.35. The "J" dim. is 13.5'. The LP is the Least Perpendicular from the clew to the luff. I'm not sure why you need these numbers? If it's for racing in a PHRF fleet or to find out if this sail will fit your rig.
I hope this helps...Dave :confused:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Donna & Doug,

As Dave has stated; a 135% genoa has an LP of 18.23'...So the foot of the 135% sail will be slightly longer than the LP...LP = Line Perpendicular measured from the luff to the clew...

A sail with a foot of 17' will be much smaller than a 135% genoa; I guessing slightly smaller than a 120% ???

In addition to sail size, you must also consider the strength/weight of the sail material...For a Dacron 135% genoa, the sail weight should probably be at least 8oz in order to handle the heavier winds...

If the sail is made of laminate, the weight will be less than dacron, but probably not much (7oz maybe)...

The assumption is that this sail will be used for heavier winds and therefore must be strong enough to handle it...20 knots of true wind speed puts an apparent wind strength of approx 27 knots on the sail...

Another thing to consider when buying smaller sails is that anything less than maybe a 120% genoa will require genoa block lead angles much closer to the clew than the stock Catalina blocks will travel...So in order to properly sheet anything smaller than a 120%, you will probably have to add a second set of genoa tracks/blocks forward of the existing blocks...  

Hope thios helps,
Tom P.

sailingdolphin

Our boat is in Alamitos bay, Basically Long Beach, CA

I found a used roller furling sail in very good shape.  With all the luff tape etc.  I am looking to buy it since we are having a roller furling installed.  It is a 160 7oz.  

Do you think its too big. I know if we were in San Francisco it would be.  I am thinking it might be good down here.

Also how much can you furl and still get good performance.  My guess is down to about 120.

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Donna & Doug,

I'm an east coast Ches Bay sailor, so obviously I don't know the usual conditions out there...

But, I do know my boat (tall rig, std keel) doesn't like my older, poorly shaped 155% genoa in much over 13 knots...Over 13 knots true wind, we get too much heel/weather helm, even with the main traveler dropped off centerline...A new flatter sail may perform better, but probably still couldn't be carried to 15 knots true wind...

If the majority of your sailing will be in breeze under 13 knots, I'd consider the 160%...Keep in mind the 160% is illegal for PHRF racing though(155% max)...

As far as roller reefing; it's my opinion that once you roll the sail (even the least bit) , you greatly give up pointing ability...Good sail shape cannot be retained...However, roller reefing is great as long as you are sailing off the wind (not close-hauled)...

Another issue would be sail strength/weight.  You said it's 7oz; if the entire sail is 7oz, I think you would have to be very careful not over-stress the material...Roll it up early to reduce sail area...7oz sounds a little light to me to be used as an "all purpose/any wind condition" sail...

Most good quality roller sails are made with several different weigh material; the lighter material at the luff, and heavier material working back to the leech...So as you roller reef in heavier air, only the stronger sail material is in use (probably closer to 8 or 9 oz)...The lighter material is rolled up on the furler...

And keep in mind the amount of grinding you will have to do with a 160% too...In 10-12 knots, that's an aweful lot of sail to crank in if you are doing it by yourself...If I'm not racing, I usually always put up my 135% genoa...Yea, we might give up a little speed, but it is a lot easier to handle through tacks and provides better visability than the 155%..And if the wind drops to where we no loonger have good boat speed, we just injoy the quiet, or fire up the engine and get to where we're going...

I highly recommend you talk to a decent sailmaker in your area...Even if you are looking at a used sail, I'd have a sailmaker look at it at tell you what it's worth...The guys out here aren't crazy about it, but have always given me good advice...I've bought several used sails in the past and pay somewhere around $50 for an evaluation...Althought the sailmakers do not have a crystal ball, and would rather sell you a new sail, they should be able to give you an idea if the sail is good for you purpose and tell you if it will last at least a few seasons...

Good Luck,
Tom P.

dave davis

Sorry to mention this, but in my opinion, no sail will have "GOOD" performance if you furl it!!!
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Jimlad

I've just been reviewing options for a new genoa and finally went with a premium dacron one from Hood Sails.  I've chosen 140% with tell tales, trimming stripes, foam luff, UV sacrificial strip and leech and foot lines.  I'm doing some twilight racing and on Sydney Harbour in the summer evenings the winds are either light 8-13 kts or 20+.  My sailmaker is also cutting down the 8yr old original genoa to about a 110% and I'll use this in stronger air.  He's also rebattening the main and refitting the luff line on the main otherwise that's in pretty good shape for an original stock one.
Hood may not be the cheapest but for the price I'm also getting a sailmaker with 30 years experience who comes on board and measures up then comes on again for the fitting and test sail. I'm very happy with the service.

My forespar 18-22' whisker pole should suit the new 140% nicely too.
Dave Wright
KRYPTONITE, Sydney, Australia
Hull no: 1620
Yr: 2002
Std rig, fin keel

Ken Juul

If your original head sail is in good shape, why not just have a luff tape sewn on and use it?  Probably cheaper than buying a new sail.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA