vetus vent parts

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

for anyone keeping track, here's the solution i came up with. 

the vetus vent threaded post is in fact metric, it's M10x1.5

i found at home depot a 3/8 MIP to 1/8 FIP threaded bushing and a 3/8 NPSL nut

i drilled and tapped the 1/8 portion of busing out to M10x1.5.  the threads aren't the cleanest because 1/8 is pretty close to M10x1.5, so the drill didn't clear away all the 1/8 threads.

but it's close enough.  the vent threads through and spins freely

it's unfortunately all made of brass, so we'll see how long it lasts

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Jon W

Congratulations, got to love simple fixes.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Here is a thought if the brass doesn't work out for you ( or others in the same predicament.)

McMaster carries stainless reducing bushings, including 3/8 x 1/8.  Or a stainless external hex 3/8 pipe plug.  Then the M10 could be drilled and tapped thru the hex head and avoid the 1/8" pipe thread mis match.

The heavy duty stainless plugs have an extra hefty size hex head.  I didn't look but imagine that McMaster might also carry the nut in stainless.

Unfortunately Mc doesn't have a suitable bushing or plug in bronze.  Only 1/2 x 1/8 bronze bushings.

Cheers
ken 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 25, 2018, 10:13:27 PM
Here is a thought if the brass doesn't work out for you ( or others in the same predicament.)
McMaster carries stainless reducing bushings, including 3/8 x 1/8.  Or a stainless external hex 3/8 pipe plug.  Then the M10 could be drilled and tapped thru the hex head and avoid the 1/8" pipe thread mis match.

Agreed.  I did see those in the catalog.  but people should note that stainless is difficult to drill and tap.  especially using a hand tap and a cordless drill.

since the brass is so soft it was easy peesy.  i'm hopeful since these won't be in salt water contact they'll last awhile.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

MD

Roger on that. It sounded as though you had concerns about the brass.

FWIW if others have this, I wouldn't do an internal thread  in s/s with anything BUT a hand tap - that minimizes the chance for breakage.  Cordless or otherwise shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a toy drill. The keys are getting the best cutting tools, cobalt drills and tap; going SLOW/high pressure/plenty of sulfur-based cutting oil to prevent overheating, and taking SMALL bites with multiple drill sizes and a TAPER tap. There's some good UTube vids for instructions/tips.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

britinusa

Nice job, but glad I didn't have to go there  :D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Oh. I Completely lost my mind and forgot to add this. 
You could paint the brass, and keep the thread protected with SuperLube PTFE gel.

Ron Hill

Guys : For those of you with a 1986, 87 & 88 C34 - here's what I did with my Vetus dorade vents.
I jammed them into the open position so they stayed that way permanently!!  Then I removed the Vetus inside trim screws and mounted a 4" Beckson port on top of the trim and used some longer screws to hold both of them (Vetus trim & Beckson ports) in place.  As I recall the holes of both linged up!!

In the summer the caps were out and if it got cold I screwed the caps in to close off the vent.  Then I NEVER had to fool with that inside screw mechanism!! MUCH SIMPLER

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788