vetus vent parts

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

does anyone know where i might be able to find the little bronze thread adapter and nut out of the vetus mushroom vents.  i was able to polish up the mushroom parts pretty well, but the bronze thread adapter that the top part of the mushroom vent threads into was frozen solid with corrosion.  the only way i was able to separate the parts was to cut the bronze fittings.  i emailed vetus, but they said they don't have the part sold separately, therefore i'd have to buy a whole new vent.  ideally, i'd like to find the thread adapters, should be $10 in parts instead of $60 in a new vent.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

Do you know the two thread type and size-pitch?

A machine shop (or a friend with a lathe) could fabricate them, but the cost would be more than $10 for one-offs!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Good idea, Ken.

md:  Where do you live?  In many places there are metal shops.  If one guy doesn't have it, he may know someone who does.  That's what I've found in my rural area here in BC.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Trenton, NJ

I don't know of any shops there, but do have one in MD I have used to refit a customer's exhaust flange/riser. 

The issue would Bev cost and priority/lead time to make one-offs!!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ken Juul

There is no real pressure on that fitting.  The cuts you made should not affect the integrity of the vent.  Why don't you just clean up what you have and reuse it?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 08, 2018, 05:11:57 PM

A machine shop (or a friend with a lathe) could fabricate them, but the cost would be more than $10 for one-offs!

i could easily mail the part to you if you know some one locally.  cost is the issue though.  i was hoping to just replace them cheaply, but if i can't find something off the shelf, the cost to have new ones re-machined would need to be low enough to make it worthwhile.  unfortunately the vents themselves are not that expensive, so i could just replace them, but i'm trying to recycle as much as i can.  cost is why i also haven't poked around for a local machine shop and sadly i have no friends with metal lathing knowledge or a lathe for that matter.

mdidomenico

Quote from: Ken Juul on March 09, 2018, 06:35:52 AM
There is no real pressure on that fitting.  The cuts you made should not affect the integrity of the vent.  Why don't you just clean up what you have and reuse it?

yes i probably could, just haven't come to that point yet.  i'm only just starting to search for a replacement or options.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mdidomenico on March 09, 2018, 07:08:17 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on March 08, 2018, 05:11:57 PM

i could easily mail the part to you if you know some one locally.  cost is the issue though.  i was hoping to just replace them cheaply, but if i can't find something off the shelf, the cost to have new ones re-machined would need to be low enough to make it worthwhile.  unfortunately the vents themselves are not that expensive, so i could just replace them, but i'm trying to recycle as much as i can.  cost is why i also haven't poked around for a local machine shop and sadly i have no friends with metal lathing knowledge or a lathe for that matter.

Understood.  But also think of it this way:  Vetus most likely did not choose a unique screw fitting for their assembly.  They found another way to figutre out how to over price them!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, I really don't think you need to have someone make them.

And it could be that maybe you could find a heavy nut and two thick washers, epoxy them together and functionally create the same fitting.

Good luck.   Don't give up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mdidomenico

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 09, 2018, 08:30:18 AM
Good luck.   Don't give up.

nope definitely haven't given up.  the leading plans so far are, in no particular order

rivet nut
- have to check the sizing though

a locking threaded insert
- https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/american-key-locking-thread-inserts.html

or drill and tap a bronze bolt
- i have access to a drill press
- risky though, bronze bolts are expensive

drill, tap, thread, bronze round stock
- might be doable using taps and threaders

learn to lathe bronze round stock
- certainly fun to learn.  certainly wont come cheap since i have to purchase a lathe, but might pay off in the longer term with a new machinist career... :)

i have to double check the screw threads on the vent mushroom before i do anything.  they measure 3/8" width, but i have a feeling their actually metric.

KWKloeber

Take the parts to Home Depot or Lowe's and see what fits the id and od threads.

mark_53

Quote from: mdidomenico on March 08, 2018, 03:51:30 PM
does anyone know where i might be able to find the little bronze thread adapter and nut out of the vetus mushroom vents.  i was able to polish up the mushroom parts pretty well, but the bronze thread adapter that the top part of the mushroom vent threads into was frozen solid with corrosion.  the only way i was able to separate the parts was to cut the bronze fittings.  i emailed vetus, but they said they don't have the part sold separately, therefore i'd have to buy a whole new vent.  ideally, i'd like to find the thread adapters, should be $10 in parts instead of $60 in a new vent.

Id be asking myself if it's worth the trouble to save $50.

mdidomenico

Quote from: mark_53 on March 09, 2018, 11:26:03 AM
Quote from: mdidomenico on March 08, 2018, 03:51:30 PM

Id be asking myself if it's worth the trouble to save $50.

that's certainly a fair question.  but since i need two vents, my total comes to just over $100 in new vents.  if i can't find a solution, then it's the route i'd go, but figured i'd see first.

the part that kills me though is the waste, the rest of the vent is perfectly fine, it's just this one stupid piece.

Ron Hill

mdid : Are you sure it is a 4" Vetus and not a 3" Nicro vent?
I say that as most 1989 and subsequent C34s have 3" Nicro dorade Vents!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

mdidomenico

Quote from: britinusa on March 09, 2018, 03:56:02 PM
I had to cut a slot in both of mine when I rebuilt our vents
http://www.sailingeximius.com/2017/10/oh-for-some-fresh-air.html

yup, exactly like mine.  i wasn't able to salvage the nut on mine though.