Identify hose

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

I know this is probably an easy answer for most of you but I can't seem to find this hose in the engine manual.  I have the M-25xp and just noticed this weekend that the other end of this hose is not attached to anything.  I can't tell if it has disconnected from something or if it is meant to be like that.  I half think that this is an overflow for the oil but would appreciate some confirmation.

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Jim Hardesty

Greg,  Your engine is different form mine but I believe it's the oil breather hose.  Do a search here to see what others have done with it.  FWIW I've plumbed mine to the air filter.  Helps with the engine smell.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Greg : Look in WiKi and you'll find a number of ways to vent that oily air so if doesn't dirty up the engine compartment and the engine.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Looks like this is a pretty nifty solution to attach the hose to the air filter. Any thoughts?
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

KWKloeber

Looks like it would work, but when I asked KN about using on the filters you guys use, KN said it wouldn't fit.   You have to have the stainless filter case, according to KN.  Dunno why, seems like it would work.

There's also a lot cheaper ways to do it.  Real cheap.  Like the cost of a nylon elbow hose barb.   

See how RC did it:  (pic courtesy of RC)

Or more exotically, drill and tap the manifold throat and screw in a hose barb.  The XPB manifold actually has a knock out meant to insert an OEM Kubota hose barb part!  Of course Westerbeke doesn't do that (cost!!), it zip ties the hose against the air intake!

I really like that filter, but I don't think it will fit on my C30.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain