Throttle springs back @ higher RPM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

The closer i get to wide open throttle the more readily the throttle springs back and I need to use a bungee to keep it above 2400.  Any suggestions how to remedy this without making the throttle too stiff?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jim Hardesty

Bill,
Not sure exactly what you have.  With most Edison pedestals you need to remove the compass or what ever you have on the top of the pedestal to get to the throttle shaft.  Then it's just a simple bolt to give more friction to the throttle shaft.  I would suggest to make a bit of a project out of it and do an inspection and maintenance of the steering.  See
http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/maintenance.php
Depending on what you get into don't think it would take much over an hour. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

Jim, that's a great link!

Do we have those documents (pdf's) onsite?

Very well worth reading.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Bill Shreeves

Thanks Jim.   Been meaning to do that service but haven't taken the time yet to drill in to it.  I should've figured there might be an adjustment for that too.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : Look in WiKi or the Mainsheet tech notes and you'll find the adjustment for increasing the friction on the throttle. 

Pull the compass off and on the right (starboard) inside of the pedestal you'll see a SS hex head bolt. I believe it's a 7 or 9/16.  Tightening the bolt will increase the throttle friction.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on June 05, 2017, 05:30:04 AM
Jim, that's a great link!

Do we have those documents (pdf's) onsite?

Very well worth reading.

Paul

When we first bought our boat in 1998, I went to a boat show, and GASP!!! Edson was there and I picked up a GASP!!! HARD COPY of their maintenance manual.  It is still on the boat.  You can get it from the link so thoughtfully provided, we don't need to have EVERYTHING on our website, do we?  :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."