Brown Drip from overhead hatch screen latch

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I went to the boat this weekend and noticed an odd stain on the floor.  It was immediately below one of the twist latches holding the screen to the hatch over the center of the boat, aft of the mast.  I could see the brown on that twist latch to match.  It looked like about a 1/2 teaspoon on the floor underneath (white fiberglass since the floorboards are up for refinishing).

It had dried in place and become quite hard... almost like dried varnish or glue (or old west system epoxy after the color changes).

I'm sure I can get it up, that's not the issue... but the root cause, and it's repair, are my bigger concern.  Anybody got anything?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Ahhhhhhh.... a leak into and deterioration of the deck core is my vote.  Finding the path of least resistance out and onto your sole.

(Or someone hiccuped carrying a bowl of lentil soup.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

Definitely leaking out of the hatch hardware...  Any recourse other than to pull the hatch and see what I find?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Definitely....  As most PO's might do, slather silicone all over and ignore it until they want to sell the boat.  Not the recommended approach. ;-)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 10, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
Ahhhhhhh.... a leak into and deterioration of the deck core is my vote.  Finding the path of least resistance out and onto your sole.

(Or someone hiccuped carrying a bowl of lentil soup.)

kk

The only way to know for sure is to taste it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

rmbrown

Not quite dark enough to be chocolate syrup... more like hardened coffee... hmmm...
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC