Documentation renewal alert

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

I know this isn't a C34 issue, but I just wanted to alert as many people as possible.
I got a letter a week or so ago from, I thought was the Coast Guard alerting me that my documentation renewal was due.  Gave me a website to go to, again I thought was the CG.  The fee was $75.  What happened to the $26 I paid last year?  I just assumed it went up.
After paying the $75, I found out it was a documentation service, not the CG.

Anyway, beware of this renewal letter as the company who sent it out went as far as legally possible to fool people it came from the CG. 

Save yourself $49 and only deal directly with the CG.  Tell everyone you know who has documented boats.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

All : You can always go to the USCG in (the "Deep Water Port" :roll:) Falling Waters, WV and change the annual documentation renewal date to a date that is more convenient to you.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ben H.

*Grumble Grumble Grumble*

:? I'm usually good a spotting these and this one got me. Time for a new credit card....

Bah hum bug - thanks for the FYI.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Paulus

I received the same letter.  Did not pay it as I was out of town.  My renewal comes by mail and it arrived while I was gone.  Sometimes you just get lucky.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

rmbrown

I hang my head in shame.  They got me.  I used their website to do my paperwork.  It was stupid expensive (I know now) but not having done it before, I didn't know any better.  I can't believe I didn't catch on but I didn't.

I'll call the credit card company and see if it's too late to reverse the charges and start over again with the real USCG.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

FWIW, they did send the paperwork in.  The *real* USCG just verified that it was processed  and had been mailed back to them two days ago.  Once I get that in the mail, it will be good for 1 year. 

Now all that's left is to talk to them about cancelling the "renewal" service that they sold me.  I went ahead and paid for 5 years and they apparently will do the paperwork for me, at quite a profit.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Chick,

First of all......  $26 last year..... for what?

Quote from: chuck53 on April 02, 2017, 07:47:41 AM
The fee was $75.  What happened to the $26 I paid last year?  I just assumed it went up.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

chuck53

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 07, 2017, 01:08:40 PM
Chick,

First of all......  $26 last year..... for what?

Quote from: chuck53 on April 02, 2017, 07:47:41 AM
The fee was $75.  What happened to the $26 I paid last year?  I just assumed it went up.

ken

My boat is Coast Guard Documented, not state registered.  Yearly renewal from the Coast Guard is $26, or $75 if you fall for this scam.

chuck53

Quote from: rmbrown on April 07, 2017, 12:12:59 PM
FWIW, they did send the paperwork in.  The *real* USCG just verified that it was processed  and had been mailed back to them two days ago.  Once I get that in the mail, it will be good for 1 year. 

Now all that's left is to talk to them about cancelling the "renewal" service that they sold me.  I went ahead and paid for 5 years and they apparently will do the paperwork for me, at quite a profit.

Let us know how that goes.  Did you pay all 5 years upfront?  If so, I hate to say, you can probably kiss that money goodbye. 

rmbrown

They did send me my renewal so they did what they promised, just charged way too much for it.

I did pay all 5 years up front, and may not be able to get it back but, since it's for services not yet rendered, I'm hopeful that my credit card company will reverse the payment for me.  We'll see.

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

chuck53

Mike, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you get the $$ back.
This is why I've posted here and other boating forums so this doesn't happen to others as it did to you and me.

FWIW, I got my renewal letter as well, so it is a legit, although unethical service.

rmbrown

Update:

I paid way too much to get my COD after purchasing my boat, but I did receive it.  I write that overpayment off to my own mistake of not recognizing the site for what it is.

I got my COD in hand and then emailed the company asking that the portion of my money paid for the 5 years of automatic renewals be refunded as I no longer desired that service.  This was the reply.

Dear Managing Owner,

This message is written in response to your cancellation request received today, 2/14/2017 via email.  According to your message, you've submitted an application for Transfer/Exchange and Prepaid 5-Year Renewal of Coast Guard Documentation for your vessel "Just Limin'", but have now decided to cancel continuing operations on your file (ie Prepaid Renewal applications), and have requested a full refund for the fees submitted.

Please be advised that, at your request, documentation processors assigned to your file may cease all further operations on your file, enabling you to pursue your documentation directly with the NVDC. However, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the website that you've already accepted through use, all application and processing fees submitted remain non-refundable.

You can find the pertinent section of the Terms and Conditions below, and them in full using the following link: https://uscgdocumentation.us/terms-and-conditions/

9. Disclaimer

I understand that all of my application and processing fees regarding the submission of my application are nonrefundable.
I understand that in the event I desire to cancel my application, my fees are nonrefundable.
I understand that my application will be processed in the order in which it was received and no exact time frame regarding my application can be given as every application is unique.

As you can see, according to the Terms and Conditions, all application and processing fees are non-refundable, even in the event of a cancellation. Should you choose to cancel, operations on your file will cease, and your documentation will not be documented into your name as originally intended. Or, if you so choose, you may transfer remaining funds towards other documentation services offered, such as Abstract(s) of Title, future Renewal application(s), or you may continue with your application as originally intended.

That being said, we will await the finalization of your request.

Please advise as to how, or if, you would like to continue.

--
Regards,

Sean Mallos
Billing Department
US Vessel Documentation

Office: (866) 981-8783
Fax: (877) 564-1398
Email: sean@uscgdocumentation.us
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

chuck53

Mike, I'm not surprised.  These people are slick and have good lawyers.  I have already filed a complaint with the BBB and BOAT US and sent an email to the USCG regarding this.  BOAT US suggested filing a complaint with the Postal Service and the CG suggests filing a complaint with the FEderal Trade Comm.
If enough people complain, these people will get shut down or at a minimum, have to change their method of business.