MKII Hot Water Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Rose

Has anyone removed and replaced the Seawood 6 Gal. hot water heater on a MKII?  The accessibility isn't great.  After the two 4D batteries are removed maybe it can be angled enough to be lifted out.  It might just be a leaking pipe fitting but there is not enough room to tighten them or even feel if the fiberglass insulation is damp.  Removing the galley drawers will not help on a MKII.

reedbr

I thought all the fittings were in front?  I have about 4-6" in front of mine I think (but don't quote me on that).  No, I have never removed it though.  Can you remove the fittings, unscrew it from the mounting board, rotate it clockwise and lift it out?

Sorry I'm not much help.  If you suspect fittings, before you remove it you could try to wrap each in plastic wrap and see which one is moist on the inside after an hour or two.  Just some thoughts.  Good luck.

C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Ian Pritchard

We had a leak coming from the hot water service last year and after investigation found that the pressure relief valve was faulty and would leak when the water heated up and not shut off.
Replaced the valve and problem solved.

"Misty Blue" C34 mk11 - 1503
Sydney Australia.

john daley

We had the same. After an overheating problem with the engine (which we solved) the pressure relief valve was stuffed and we had endless hot fresh water in the bilges. So I got a new relief valve in from Seaward (cost of valve US$8 - cost of freight US$80 !!) and the problem was solved. The old valve was in very tight, but eventually unscrewed OK.

Terry

We have a Mark I and replaced the water heater last year.  Had to remove the door and frame and it barely fit through the hole.  I don't know where your batteries are so I can't comment except that we never touched our batteries.

Lots of other postings on this if you search.  Good luck...

Stu Jackson

Water Heaters

Before you think it's all in the front, be sure to check in the back!

The electrical is in the front.  The PRV is in the front.  Two hoses are in the front.

But be sure to check where the big black hoses from the engine are.

They could be hiding in the BAAAACk.

Just be REALLY careful before you reorder.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Also, talk to Seward first if that is the type heater you have.  I have leaks on my Mark I (previous post messages) and they suggested I pull and look first.  They told me they have all the parts to fix different things, don't necessarily need to order complete new heater.  On mine, if tank or tank fittings are bad, I can just replace the tank (about $70).  If the WELDS are cracked, Seward suggested they would replace for free, but not for corrosion.  Still better than whole new heater.  I have not pulled yet, want to first test heating elements to make sure everything else is still working so I can replace what I need to only one time.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA