Dodger vinyl window cleaners / restorers

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

The vinyl windows on our dodger are getting hazy and hard to see through due to age (and some neglect in regular cleaning).   I  would like to try one of the cleaners / restorers that are made for this purpose  - I've seen a few at Boat US and auto parts stores.  Some are called cleaners, some are called polishes, and others are called restorers.  Does anybody have any recommendations?
Thanks
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

I have good luck with the Meguir's products.  They make a couple of them for cleaning the windows.  Can't remember which one I am currently using.  Don't use anything with alcohol (windex) it's bad for the plastic.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

While not a cleaner, I try to use 303 Aerospace Protectant almost monthly on my dodger to protect the vinyl from UV. I doubt it will resurrect things for you but you might try it with the other cleaners suggested.

Craig

Mike Denest

We had the same problem so we used the Meguir's cleaner first then the polish.  It took lot's of elbow grease but it got the job done. 
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Momentum M

Bob...I've used this product on my previous boats ans still using it on my latest one.  See the link below and you'll find different product and the use.  They are not that expensive so maybee you want to try a few!!!

Good luck

Serge

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Boat/RV%20Care>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=58101
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Craig Illman

Serge -

I just followed the link you sent and have a question. Have you used the polish on your hatches? My forward hatch above the V-berth has a lot of fine scratches. I was considering replacing the lens, but this would certainly be a cheaper and faster solution.

Craig

Ron Hill

Bob : I use a product called "NOVUS".  It's especially made for the plastic windows and sold at most canvas places the make dodgers etc.  To find the dealer closest to you call (800)548-6872.  It comes in 3 differant grades  - #1 for cleaning; #2 for light scratches and #3 for heavy scratches. 
Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I second Ron's recommendation.I use Novus for sheet burns on the dodger windows and the cleaners are very good. When I get the lens clear I use 303 regularly as suggested.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

ssk

You might try PLEXUS..
http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
West Marine carries it.  I find it the best thing yet for dodger vinyl and for plexi ports.
Sid