Plans: Mahogany Cockpit Sole Inserts

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

As promised a while back (January of this year!!), I've completed the plans for the magogany cockpit sole inserts we made for Weal Sea earlier this year (See Project Page on this site). I have to give credit to Ben Holland (ChriSea #832) for his skilled craftmanship, the use of his woodshop, and much of his labor in the project. Also, thanks again to Mark Elkin for his work editing our submissions and updating our C-34 Projects Page.... He, as well as others involved in maintaining the site, are a major reason this sailing site is one of the best on the web.
Dan Harrington
Weal Sea, #1289

Paul Bosquet

Well I am halfway done with  my mahogany cockpit sole . Built my templates according to plan , and built a mock up floor out of plywood slat t try it out. Looked good so decided to proceed. Purchased a piece 2 1/4" x 13 1/2. x 96''. Had a wood shop cut up all the piece I needed. I need to sand and stain all pieces and assemble the whole thing. Makes for a great winter project.  I would to take the opportunity to thank Dan and others for making it relatively easy . This site is awesome and the members are well great sports. :santa
Paul
C34 Eliosso
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Philip Imhof

I take that as a compliment     :clap

Philip Imhof

I take that as a compliment    :thumb:

SailDan

Paul,
I am really pleased that you've found the plans for the mahogany sole useful.  I know of at least one other member of the C-34 group who has built the sole for his boat, Bob Kuba s/v Quiet Island.  It would be great if you posted a few photos of the finished product when you finish.
:D
P.S. - Again,  thanks for the information on the size of the Ice Box.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Bob Kuba

Here are a few photos of the cockpit floor inserts I made using Dan's plans. Everyone who's seen the finished effect, cannot believe the difference! Thanks for all those measurements Dan!

The small insert piece at the stern has since been changed to mahogany as well. I originally didn't think I needed it, but last summer we used the swim platform extensively to board the boat from the dinghy.

The flooring is very easy and sure-footed on bare feet, dresses up the boat very nicely.

I also built a ramp for easier boarding from the dinghy while at anchor. It was primarily intended for easier access for the dog, but it was sturdy enough to handle some visiting full-beamed cruiser friends as well. When not in use, it folds up, and is bungeed to the aft rail. But first it is removed using quick disconnect pins, the swim ladder retracted, and then re-pinned into position and folded up to the rail. The black pattern is adhesive anti-skid material to provide traction on those wet days.

Bob Kuba
Quiet Island
#1291 1994
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

SailDan

Bob,
That "gang plank" is a great addition.  I am sure you are going to get requests for plans on how to built it.... we can always use another of Bob Kuba's projects for the C-34 site.  :clap
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Paul Bosquet

Can't wait to get this in the cockpit, I'm sure it will look alot better than on my office floor

Paul
C34 Eliosso[/img]
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Bob Kuba

One of the things I found when fitting my inserts to the boat was, that "level", is a relative term, especially on boats. In other words, the inserts wobbled when stepped on. So I sliced up some spare mahogany and made 3/4 inch x 2 7/8 inch x 1/8 inch shims to fit underneath on the cross braces that needed them. That way the flooring doesn't "wobble" no matter where you step on it. And it makes for a nice professional installation.

Home Depot sells thick felt padding that comes in 1/2 inch x 6 inch strips, and I used this on the bottom side of the shims to protect the fiberglass cockpit floor. After a full season of use, the original floor still looks great.

Bob Kuba
Quiet Island
#1291  1994

Mike Smith

Wow!  Looks great!  This is another potential "Niche Market" item like teak and holley soles.  Seems like you could make up a plywood "jig" and mass produce them. For those who have made and installed these cockpit soles - were there any specific areas of difficulty or things you wish you had done differently - either during construction or during installation?

Mike

Paul Bosquet

Mike ,
the plans provided by Dan Harrington are exceptionally well done but of course, based on my nature , I had to make modifications. I made a tighter fit around the pedestal and being on a lake with bimini and full enclosure , I did not make the same scupper cut out for the drainage which will not diminish the drainage anyway.
I had the wood cut and planed by a shop as it was too big for my equipment . I would recommend using lumber from the same piece of wood as color can vary from one piece to another. For the finish, I opted for Cetol, 6 coats
Looks great , cant wait to get it out off my office floor
Paul
C34 Eliosso
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Mike Smith

Paul -

Cetol is great, and with 6 coats and as needed touch-ups it should be no problem for a few years.  Did you use the new, lighter color Cetol? I have a Mark I and I think I remember there was a version of the plans for us, too.  I'm definitely adding this to my list of springtime projects.

Mike

Paul Bosquet

Mike, I used the regular marine Cetol  and with the color of my mahogany, it is very close to my teak, at least close enough.
I to have a MK1, 1989. Because of the weather up here  I have a full enclosure so the sole will not get much weather wear.
After  making templates, from the plan, go to the boat set them in and use cardboard strips to fill voids where needed and then staple them to the template. Make your jig according to those adjusted templates.
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Bob Kuba

Dan's plans say that anyone with a "modest woodshop" will be able to complete this project. Since I live in a high-rise in Chicago, my modest woodshop turned out to be the living room floor. And for a jig platform, I took the bedroom door off the hinges and used it to build my jig on. Of course one project leads to another, now I need a new bedroom door.

I also had a mill order and cut the wood to the specs in the plan. Especially the long pieces that require a slender taper to fit properly. After they milled it, it was perfect. No bows, warps, knots, or any other imperfections, I was really excited! The jig was simple enough, even the dog was interested, since I was down at his level. After the templates are cut for the jig, definitely take them to the boat for a test fitting, as every boat is a little different. Also remember that when you lay out the templates, that there will be cross supports underneath, raising the the whole template up just a bit, and thereby affecting the side clearances slightly.

One other item that may bear mentioning, I increased the thickness of my cross supports from 1/2 inch, as the plans call for, to 3/4 inch. This was a recommendation from both Dan and Ben Holland, for better support. I used a Dremel tool with a router attachment to take the sharp edge off the planks as well, and it enhances the appearance as well.

If you have a radial chop saw, access to a router and a screwdriver, you're in business. The plans may look daunting, but it goes together easily.

Also, an understanding first mate may be your biggest asset!  :-)

Bob Kuba
Quiet Island
#1291  1994

Paul Bosquet

Bob, congratulations on your ramp, looks great.
What kind of wood did you use for the platform. Dinghy, my dog, would probably be very happy to have one.
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986