Companionway wood slats...???

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I have a factory cut horizontal, approx 1/2 in. X 12 in. (guessing) routed-through/cut angled at 45 degrees, vent in my wood hatch board. I will send a photo when I go the boat this weekend.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

noah

between boards?  Or cut thru the center of the top board?
I have cuts (2 or 3?) thru the mid top board.  Strategically angled cuts so that wind blown precip basically blows "straight in"

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Fuzzy memory. And I have a Sunbrella cover over to protect the varnish. I will take a pic and share this weekend.
Standard Rig

anaisdog

one issue i have, with the slat boards, is mud wasps wiggling in the slats and making nests in my boat.  i'd love to do the zacor if i could!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Ken : FYI, The C34 hatch boards are different from the other Catalinas !! 
The single "vent slot" is cut into the bottom contour of the top hatch board. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Capt.Jim

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 01, 2016, 08:20:49 PM
noah

between boards?  Or cut thru the center of the top board?
I have cuts (2 or 3?) thru the mid top board.  Strategically angled cuts so that wind blown precip basically blows "straight in"

No, mine is NOT like the picture posted. Just one single cut between the boards in the middle where they touch each other.
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Noah

Mine too photo coming tonight
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 04, 2016, 01:06:00 PM
Ken : FYI, The C34 hatch boards are different from the other Catalinas !! 
The single "vent slot" is cut into the bottom contour of the top hatch board. 

A thought

Ron: 

FYI, see C-34 examples below. :shock:

As I've said (too?) many times, no boat manufacturer has the word "standard" in its vocabulary. 
Stated differently, look up "standard" in the pictionary, and you will not see any boat's photo alongside it!  :rolling

Ken

Noah

My hatch boards
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

Mine are like Ken's with the 5 slots.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Clarification, pics aren't mine -- but my C-30 has similarly cut slots (3, I think)

k

Jon W

Mine are like Noah's, except not as good looking.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 04, 2016, 03:39:54 PM

Ron: 

FYI, see C-34 examples below.

Mine are like these.  The joint between the two is NOT flat, there is an overlap with the top over the bottom.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

FWIW, at some point Catalina switched to three boards instead of two. I have the vent cut in the gap between two of the boards. I can't remember which ones right now.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)