Shaft Alignment

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I just alignment my shaft using the procedure in the Nov 1989 Tech Note and the vibration that I was hearing and feeling has completely disappeared.  It took about 5-6 hours in total to complete the procedure, including lunch, repacking the stuff box and taking a test ride.  A word of advice, if you haven't repacked your stuff box personnel you should â€" I only had one ring of flax!  

For anyone attempting this in the future it's a very easy procedure and worth the time if you suspect your shaft isn't aligned.  The only item I had difficult with was sliding the stuff box forward after removing the hose clamps.  I couldn't twist, pull or pry the hose from the shaft log.  So, I wrapped the hose in a towel, grabbed the hose (in the center) with a pair of large channel lock pliers and with gentle pressure rotated the pliers.  Once the seal was broken, the stuff box easily slides up and down the shaft.

How did I know the shaft might be out of alignment?

1)   The vibration noise, particularly at higher RPMs, was very loud.
2)   I could feel the vibration in the hull area directly aft of the stuff box hose.  After aligning the shaft the vibration is gone.
3)   Advice and guidance from the C34 web community

Thanks

Barry Saad #1007 - 1990
Hydra II

Stu Jackson

Barry

Removing what hose clamps?  Did you remove the black hose to the sterm tube?  The stuffing box is the lock nut and big bolt on the shaft between the balck hose and the engine/transmission, and requires no removal of hose clamps.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

barry

Stu,

sorry for the confusion, but I was using the words / terms from the Nov 89 tech note, which says ..

"b. loossen the two hose clamps around the aft end of the stuffing box rubber hose."   So, yes this is the black hose around the shaft log or stern tube.

"c. Slide the stuffing box forward ...."  Really you're sliding everything from the black hose to the stuff box nut forward on the shaft.  Once you break the seal between the black hose and the shaft log everything slides very easy.

Barry Saad #1007 - 1990
Hydra II

[This message was edited by Barry on June 03, 2003 at 05:11 AM.]

[This message was edited by Barry #1007 1990 "Hydra II" on June 03, 2003 at 05:15 AM.]

barry

Ron,

My main objective was to align the shaft in the shaft log.  You need to slide the black hose from the shaft log to accomplish this procedure.

terryschacht

Well I wouldn't say I completely understand - not having performed the procedure myself - but I'm glad the vibration is completely gone.  Way to go... :)

barry

Ron:  The water that does come "gushing" in can be controlled since it's very easy to slide the black hose back over the shaft log and stop the water ... So, I would slide the hose forward, check the alignment, slide the hose back, adjust the motor mounts and then start again until I was satisfied.

The only issue I found was that the water fills the area behind the motor so fast that it flows into the area under the motor, which doesn't drain into the bilge ... So, I had a wet vac ready to empty that area.  

All-in-all an easy task - So don't motor with the vibration ...

Stu Jackson

Drain Hole for Mark IIs

Barry

Check this out:  http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq-drainhole.html

Beats a shop vac when you're not plugged in.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

barry

Ron or Stu:  If i understand the picture Stu posted, the drain hole for the Mark II is behind the engine ... in the area under the drive coupling.

I assume this will work on a Mark I hull?

Seems like that location would reduce the likelihood of oil / fuel getting into the bilge.

nita252001

yes i hate to bother you but could you please tell me how to go about getting a hull number for my boat cause it dosent have one on it at all please send me some info to nita252001@yahoo.com if you know thanx for your time nita

nita