Wind Speed Indicator

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

On the boat Saturday, wind about 10 kts, noticed the wind speed indicator wasn't working.  Looked up and sure enough the cups weren't spinning. Sunday after the front, 16-35 knots of wind, the wheel broke free and started working again.  Comparing to neighbors boats at the dock, mine still has some drag on it as it is slower to start and faster to stop.  Is this repairable or should I just replace the sender?  Fewer times up and down the mast the better!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Brad Colon

I would take a trip up the mast and look for spiders. Sounds like they may have made a nest-especially since the unit started to work again after the wind increased. While you are up there enjoying the view you can always remove the sending unit if that turns out to be the problem.
1994 CAPTIVATED # 1285

Buddy

Ken,
Take the WD-40 up with you. It solved my problem just fine and has been working good for almost a year. It's something I will do every time I have to go up.

Buddy

pklein

I wouldn't use WD-40 on anything that has plastic. Wd-40 contains petroleum distilates.  Try a silicon spray such as McLube.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago