Aft Water Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

russmorgan

Thanks for the suggestions for my water heater problems.  Now for another one.  Bilge keeps collecting water.  Took the back panel off in the aft cabin and found that crevice/depression full of fresh water.  sucked it out with a shop vac and went for a sail just to see what we could see.   On a starboard tack with the boat heeling pretty good, the aft water tank is up against the starboard side of its platform and water comes into the cabin from that side.  Fall off a bit and the flow stops.  On the opposite tack, the tank slides to the port side and there's no leak.  There's about an inch of play from side to side.  Should that be?  Could the fill pipe or the vent tube be causing the problem?
Also, this tank is still full after a week's worth of Water usage. Doesn't it cross-feed into the starboard tank?
Russ

Russ Morgan
#325  1987
Moulin Rouge

kss1220

I had the same issue.  I found that it was from water intrusion from rain and deck wash water migrating under the emergency tiller down the rudder post. I followed ideas and suggestions from others and put waterproof grease and mylar around the shaft inbetween the shaft cavity directly under the emergency tiller cap as well as I added another plastic washer under the emergency tiller cap that was ordered from Catalina. I had to sand the 2nd washer on a belt sander to make a snug fit between the E. tiller cap.  Also I put a jack under the rudder to make shure all the play was taken out of the up and down play in the rudder shaft.  Upon installation of the two washers and E. tiller cap I applied liberally amounts of grease to all the components and have had no leaks since.

pklein

Russ
You might check some of the hoses that lead from bilge pumps to the transom drains.  I had some water in a hose during the winter and it cracked the hose on the underside where I couldn't see it.  Everytime we were on a tack that put the transom outlet below the water line we were collecting lake water.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago