cng refills

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

"now we're cooking with gas"
Got my adapter and filled my tank.  Took two tries to figure out the fill station mechanics but I have my stove back.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on August 26, 2016, 12:27:44 PM
Got my adapter and filled my tank.  Took two tries to figure out the fill station mechanics but I have my stove back.

Lazy,

There was no issue with the station with the adapter or tank pressure? 
Locally they are telling me they can't refill a portable tank due to the pressure differences (2400 psi tank I believe?) and vehicle pressure (3000+ psi?)

-Ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

How about run it on methane? I am sure someone in California is planning a cow butt to tank adapter soon.
https://thinkprogress.org/california-super-pollutant-law-a71f30642543#.emrzvlicn
:abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 22, 2016, 09:07:27 AM
Quote from: lazybone on August 26, 2016, 12:27:44 PM

Lazy,

There was no issue with the station with the adapter or tank pressure? 
Locally they are telling me they can't refill a portable tank due to the pressure differences (2400 psi tank I believe?) and vehicle pressure (3000+ psi?)

-Ken

The station near me is totally self serve, there's no human supervision. 
And yes, there is a huge pressure potential (4000 psi), so one must be very, very careful.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on September 22, 2016, 12:16:11 PM
How about run it on methane? I am sure someone in Califonia is planning a cow butt to tank adapter in soon.
https://thinkprogress.org/california-super-pollutant-law-a71f30642543#.emrzvlicn
:abd:

EPA banned the sale of over-the-counter epinephrine inhalers because the propellant was a CFC -- so an asthmatic in distress can't just stop at CVS and buy one cheaply anymore.  PUUUUULEASE - the number of those used daily was a problem?   I bet big drug had something to do with that ban.

[soapbox] \
           \__ >  thump (stepping down off it) ->  kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on September 22, 2016, 01:06:20 PM
And yes, there is a huge pressure potential (4000 psi), so one must be very, very careful.

AHHHHH,  OK.  As usual, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!!   :D
Checking, I see we have self-serve stations also, no real humans.  Sweet. 
Any odds on whether that was a calculated move so someone doing something really stupid doesn't take out an innocent employee during the process?   And no one there to check expiration date on the cylinder?   :shock: :shock:

funny aside  - my ROTFLMAO came after I emailed the NG providers about filling a CNG tank for a boat stove, the helpful PR reply person came back with "....tanked gas is propane, we supply natural gas.  You need to exchange the tank at Lowes or somewhere."   :rolling :rolling

-kk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 22, 2016, 01:52:06 PM
Any odds on whether that was a calculated move so someone doing something really stupid doesn't take out an innocent employee during the process?   And no one there to check expiration date on the cylinder?   :shock: :shock:

For sure, Ken.

I've been divorced from my first wife for over 30 years now, but I'm told by my daughter that she STILL hasn't pumped gas HERSELF.  EVER.

How she finds these stations that actually have humans who not only take your $$ but actually fill your tank is beyond me.

Next they'll be telling me they check your oil level and clean your windshields.  :shock:

Can't trust 'dem humans, can we???  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

csimmerling

for what it's worth, in New Jersey you aren't even allowed to pump your own gas at stations - full serve only. It always amazes me when I drive there and it's cheaper to have someone do it for me than pumping it myself at home in NY.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

KWKloeber

Quote from: csimmerling on September 23, 2016, 11:55:46 AM
for what it's worth, in New Jersey you aren't even allowed to pump your own gas at stations - full serve only. It always amazes me when I drive there and it's cheaper to have someone do it for me than pumping it myself at home in NY.

Wow another AH-HAAAA moment. 
In August we stopped for fuel in NJ (returning from a trip to NH) and I was dumbfounded that I hit a station that still had full serve.  DUH!

-kk

lazybone

Full serve is the law in NJ.  But don't get your panties ole wet, because the politicians throw a bone to the gas station operatators and charge a few cents less for fuel taxes but they make it up elsewhere and then some.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

You can't pump your own gas in Oregon either.  So, after all, NJ is NOT unique.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

We don't pump our own gas here in SoFla either (it's not ours till we pay for it)  8)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 22, 2016, 01:52:06 PM
Quote from: lazybone on September 22, 2016, 01:06:20 PM

AHHHHH,  OK.  As usual, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!!   :D

funny aside  - my ROTFLMAO came after I emailed the NG providers about filling a CNG tank for a boat stove, the helpful PR reply person came back with "....tanked gas is propane, we supply natural gas.  You need to exchange the tank at Lowes or somewhere."   :rolling :rolling

-kk

Talked to a friend who is in the business of certifying all sorts of fuel dispensing eguipment.  He says the CNG stations are ment for fleet trucks only.  They save a lot of money not having a pinhead siting in a booth reading comics.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677