Sail Repair?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

I took down my head sail (~135 Roller Genoa) yesterday for the first time and found a tear in the head of the sail. What are my options here? Is this something I could try to repair on my own or would this be best left to a professional. Any current sail loft recommendations in the Puget Sound area of WA?

Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Gary

I would recommend a relationship with a sail loft. You need a loft for help sooner or later. It is nice to have a working relationship before an emergency happens. We have the main, and jib washed each season. Included is a sail inspection and 1 hour of repairs for about $240. each season. That includes winter storage...I drop them off each fall and pick up in spring. They are clean, thoroughly inspected, repaired and stored in dry conditions. The washing system also helps restore stiffness to the sail material. This service finds problems in the fall, repaired over the winter, and has you in great shape for a new season.

In your case, taking the sail in now might lead to loss of sail time. Perhaps you could send the loft the pics you have taken and they could provide a repair estimate as well as schedule you in their work flow with a minimum of lost sail days this season.

For us it has identified weak areas in material before the wind does and has given us a working relationship and trust with a sail maker.....saved us a lot of headaches over time for sure.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Your question answers itself.  You need to get it fixed, and this is not the place, physically or work-wise, to start.  We have a great sail loft in our marina (nowhere near you, though) that works exclusively on used sails.  I get my repairs done there for $80, since all my repairs are minor and take an hour or less.  There could be one near you.  It's far from the frenetic beginning of the season, so look and ask around for a trustworthy place and bring it in.  You'll most likely get it back at the end of the week.  Good luck.

The damage in the pictures also show something else.  The first picture has what appears to be mold inside where the head of the sail could well have wrapped around itself.  This shouldn't happen at the top swivel of your furler and may be the cause of the rip to the luff tape.  Examine your furler head swivel and halyard restrainer. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: Navigaards on June 13, 2016, 11:37:57 AM
Any current sail loft recommendations in the Puget Sound area of WA?

I took mine to North Sails in Seattle.  Did an excellent job.
Also would recommend Ballard Sails, they helped me setup my spinnaker sock...no charge!

Craig Illman

I've used Schattauer Sails, they've always given me good service. http://www.schattauersails.com/ 

Across the street from Ray's Boathouse near Shilshole

Craig

Sailing48N

Does anyone know of anyplace in the south sound closer to Tacoma?

I did call Ballard Sails and will likely take my sail there if I can't find something a little closer. They are about 2 weeks out on repairs right now too. Not bad, but not great either.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Sue Clancy

I have done lots of minor sail repairs on my own but I would not attempt to fix the area you are showing in this picture.  Even with a heavy duty machine, this area is going to be tough to do and will be very awkward to work with.  I share the thoughts on having a professional with the right equipment and a big loft to do it in. 
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

lazybone

Seems like a fairly small problem.  What's wrong with a sailors palm, some heavy wax thread and a few hours of quality time in the cockpit?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Sailing48N

I've called 4 different lofts now all based out of Seattle; Ballard Sails, North Sails, Ullman Sails, and Schattauer Sails. They've all said pretty much the same thing. There is sun rot on the webbing that connects the sail to the furler. A short section of webbing would need to be replaced and sewn in its place. It's a very quick and easy repair to make and would take less than an hour to complete. However, they are all a few weeks out on repairs. One loft said that they could squeeze us in but they are all the way up in Anacortes where the work is actually done (the Seattle location is just a store front) so it would still end up being a two week turn around.

All in all, not too bad and not nearly as detrimental to our boat bucks as I thought it might be. I'll give Ballard Sails another call when they open this morning to get something on the books and possibly have them do a complete once over on the entire sail.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Sailing48N

I forgot to give an update to this thread. I took the sail up to Ballard and dropped by Schattauer Sails. He took a quick look at the sail and asked if I had 20 minutes. "Sure", I said. I went next door to West Marine for a little bit and stopped back in. He said that that portion of webbing isn't even needed. He simply cut it out and stated that when they make new sails they intentionally leave the top foot or so of webbing off because it's not needed and will only sun rot, deteriorate, and eventually rip like mine did. Best of all, he said it was no charge. That made my day. Although it was 3 hours of driving for something I could have easily done myself in just a few minutes with a sharp pair of scissors.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Stu Jackson

You have now found a sail loft for life.  Great report, thanks for letting us know.  Always good to pump the good guys.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."