Talkin' Trash: MkII edition

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

I love the little trash cubbies that they put in the MkII version. Pulling out the trash can to empty it? Not so much love.  :(

Thus, my first major upgrade to my new (to me) boat, using a few simple stick-on wire guides available at the office supply store.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Good idea.  May be if they were put port and starboard the lid would stay put sailing.  Mystery to me that a sail boat is built that moderate heeling will cause factory supplied things to go flying.  May be that's just me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Breakin Away

They were placed to accommodate the handle size of typical plastic grocery bags. Putting them any further apart caused the bags to not fit because the handles aren't big enough.

I have not heeled my boat over very far yet, but I have not noticed any problem with the cutting board flying away. Some strategically placed velcro or dual-lock tack would probably eliminate any issues with that.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

I just put mine in the sink.  If I think about it.  Can think of a lot of ways to fix it, just haven't done anything yet.  May be if I did a multi-day passage it would prompt me to do something.
FWIW    I use plastic grocery bags just placed in the bottom of the trash bin and change often.  ie almost every time I'm on the boat.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Breakin Away

I tried just putting in the bags, but the kept falling down or closing up. So throwing out trash was a two or three handed job. The wire guides take the place of two heads by keeping the bag up and open.

Mick Laver

I'd love to take credit for this, but the PO made this modification to the counter so the trash could easily be removed through an access door. It's so logical that, when I started seeing other 34 Mk IIs, I wondered why Catalina had discontinued putting the door in.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA