Salon table wobble

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hi all,
The knob/bolt used to tighten the table bracket to the column at the top, was missing when I bought the boat. The table always had a wobble I the upper position. I'm making a new smaller table to mount on the bracket, and would like to eliminate the wobble. A 5/16" bolt seems to be the right size, but the threads don't match. I thought I would try an 8mm metric bolt to see if that would work. It appears that it just needs to tighten against the bracket to tight the moveable part in the slot against the column. Any insight would be appreciated. I tried to locate the part, but no luck. It's an original pedestal on a 1987 boat.  Thanks
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

KWKloeber

Mike,

Have you tried a fine-thread (5/16-24) bolt?
Maybe you can find something here that works
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-component-knobs/=12xrzzy

Those type adjusters oftentimes have a threaded section and then a shoulder and the remainder is larger diameter--the shaft diameter is stepped -- not the same diameter across its length (like a bolt.) At least that's how my C30 is.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

RV61

Mike,
We went with a smaller table and love it to access starboard shelves in main salon!! We have a knob for the up and down on pedestal and a bolt that you tighten that pushes a wedge'  The wedge fits in bracket sleeve and as you tighten bolt the wedge pushes against the pedestal get out the wobble. so three parts knob, bolt and wedge.  Not at boat to measure bolt.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the feedback. I have a moveable part with slot inside the frame pocket. Not sure if that is the wedge or if the wedge is an additional part. I guess I'll keep looking for parts. Different size 5/16" threads didn't work. I'll try an 8mm bolt for thread size. Thanks.
Mike...
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

RV61

Mike I believe you may have wedge " moveable part with slot inside the frame pocket" Is it silver? A bolt fits in this.   If you are at boat post pic and I can confirm frame pocket. I will try to post pic next time we r at the boat of whole set up.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Indian Falls

part of that nonsense for the table pedestal has a flexible tounge that is a molded part of the plastic.  This tounge is pushed by the bolt and has that wedge between.  On mine I found this tounge broken off.  I have the piece but you cannot really assemble it broken and get it together.  I went to all the trouble to make a piece of carved plastic to put in there but I dare not take it apart as it was such a pain to get together.   Thats when I found the piece that broke and fell out.  Wobble city without that piece.  without it the bolt would contact the aluminum, dig it up and then sliding ability would end.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Just an out of the box idea, and from someone who has only dropped his table twice in 18 years:

Could you not simply use thin wooden shims placed at the 12-3-6 & 9 o'clock positions to stop the wobble if you don't drop the table often?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The P O of my boat replaced the factory pedestal with the type used on campers and motorhomes. A simple tube for the pedestal and sockets on top and bottom. Worked good for me.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net