Prop Wrap

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

We got a prop wrap. While anchoring off Italian Gardens Catalina.  Enough to stop the engine. It was a quick hard stop.  I was able to dive  over board and cut the lines off the shaft and prop, there was a line wedge between the rudder and hull, not to tight, I was able to clear this by hand. We started up the engine and all seems ok. After getting the anchor set, we spent the night at anchor. The next day we motored to Avalon. About two miles. Again everything seems ok. Except
1)  the tackometer is not working, not sure if this is a cause of the sudden stop or just something else.
2) belt is a little loose. I will tighten today.

Is there something else I need to look at because of the sudden stop to the engine?

thanks
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

That happened to me in Nov. 1998, we had just bought the boat in July of that year.

Check EVERYTHING:  motor mounts, coupling bolts, stuffing box (leak amount), alternator support bolts, hose connections, HX mount, transmission fluid level...

Critical Upgrades recommends regular engine checks while it's running.  Do this, too.

Tach?  Check the wires at the back of the alternator.

My engine, and it sounds like yours, worked just fine afterwards.  We had <1,000 hours on it back then, still going strong today at 3050 engine hours.

Good luck, sounds like you're OK.

PS - Brad, it would be helpful if you added your boat year, etc. info to your signature.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Brad : I see from the side bar that your C34 is a 1986 and Hull #84.

A "sudden engine stoppage" is NOT good for the engine, but there is nothing you can do about it!!  If you're near an oil change I'd change the oil. 
The engine tach stopping is a coincidence.  I'd check the tach wire connection at the alternator (usually the white wire).

The same thing happened to me in 1995 and I ran that engine for another 15 years to a total of 5000hrs.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

Thanks guys! It's nice to know that two of the most respected Catalina owners that I know of have  had similar issues. Thanks for sharing. Folkes like you make this blog great!

I will continue to check all connections.

Just changed the oil in May. But will change when we are through cruising. August or September.
The tack issue was a broken wire at the alternator, probably caused by the sudden stop.

Thanks again
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Noah

Hey Brad-- how "refreshing" were the waters off Catalina? Chilly or still El Nino warm? Or did the annoyance and adrenalin numb the entire experience?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Brad Young

Noah, not to bad.
72 degrees.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Brad Young on June 25, 2016, 06:22:26 PM
Noah, not to bad.
72 degrees.

You got off lucky.  SF Bay water is 57.  Year round.

For me the beauty was that after I dragged myself up out of the water via the stern ladder, we had HOT blinkin' water, for a good warm shower.

The brandy didn't hurt, either.  :clap :clap :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."