Mainesail - Quality Crimp Tool?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

QuoteMainesail said:

On another note if anyone wants a true top quality USA made heat shrink crimp tool I have worked closely with a USA tool maker now for over two years and finally have one to offer. They are not cheap, $145.00, but you won't find a tool that makes a better formed crimp on heat shrink terminals. I generally sell these to professionals but if opting for DIY wiring I would highly recommend this tool!!

RC, Whose tool is and how the heck do we order one??

Thanks,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

Ken,

It's the Pro-HST model that is for sale in my small store. The FTZ crimpers will be back in-stock in later this week but are not the same quality.....

Shop Compass Marine
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Quote from: mainesail on February 29, 2016, 12:28:34 PM
Ken,

It's the Pro-HST model that is for sale in my small store. The FTZ crimpers will be back in-stock in later this week but are not the same quality.....

Shop Compass Marine

Thanks RC,

From what I've seen with FTZ's two very similar controlled-cycle crimpers, they're "ok" for occasional DIY -- for my money not substantially  better or worse than Master Appliance, Sea-Dog, etc., (probably all from the same offshore factory) and so FTZ's dealer cost is over-priced.

The PRO looks like it's a real quality tool for the money.  I'm in.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

The FTZ tool is made in Taiwan (Taiwanese made tools cost more than mainland China) and the SeaDog is a copy of that tool made in mainland China. They look nearly identical but the Seadog often over-crimps, especially red terminals. I also have a parallel action double crimp tool coming soon..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ekutney

A friend loaned me his ratchet tool made by Titan, I used it with Ancor butt connectors and it seemed to work fine.  I crimped wire into both ends of a blue connector then gave it the pull test, did not come lose.  I also used a heat gun but pulled then checked for a solid connection.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ron Hill

Guys : I have a "Klein" crimper that works just fine!! 

Believe it's a "made in the USA" tool!!
Ron, Apache #788