Racor Vacuum Gauge Install

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Today I went to install my new vacuum gauge "kit" on to my 500 series Racor fuel filter.  It is Racor/Parker factory part # RK11-1969 designed to replace the "T" handle.  Curiously I saw the "black box" warning note on in the instructions.

NOTE: "do not use this kit on USCG inspected marine applications. Order kit number 1606B. The 1606B is a dash mounted vacuum gauge and may be used on all marine and non-marine applications"

I get that my vessel is a pleasure craft and not subject to USCG inspection, but it got me curious. Anyone know what this warning is all about? :donno:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

I believe an "inspected" vessel is one that the USCG inspects on a scheduled basis. Commercial maritime vessels, cruise ships, etc...   The Coast Guard may board you for an inspection, but that's different.  Our vessels are uninspected.  If you have a captains license, it's probably OUPV status (Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel)
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Yes Stu, same gauge, with very slightly different adapter/thread for 500 series. It is the "correct" gauge kit from Parker/Racor.

ROC- I do understand the difference between inspected and non-inspected vessels...I was just wondering what the USCG's beef was with the T-handle replacement/mounted gauge on inspected vessels.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

J_Sail

I couldn't stand not knowing (and I have one too on the boat I sail) so I called Racor. It's a technicality of the UL approval for the filter assembly. Since the T-handle version mounts to the filter itself, it is technically a modification to the filter. Since Racor submits their filters to UL with the original T-handle rather than a gauge attached, the combination is not technically UL approved. The USCG requires that commercial boats subject to USCG inspection use UL (or equiv lab) approved filters.  The remote-mount gauge assembly doesn't mount to the filter, so doesn't modify it.

BTW, Racor support was great; no hold time, only one transfer from the operator to a knowledgable tech, and the entire call took less than 3 minutes.