Moisture in cockpit floor

Previous topic - Next topic

boblin

Found some moisture in cockpit floor. It is solid at the hatch (18" away) and surprisingly solid at the pedestal (12"away) there is a spot right in the middle that is showing moisture and sounding little hollow. The deck itself feels very solid under foot. Any ideas where I might start looking?

Thanks

Bob

Stu Jackson

I'd start at the pedestal foot guards, seems the only place water could get in.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : You didn't mention if you have a standard transom or walkthrough. 
If you have a standard you might also examine the cockpit scupper inlets.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on October 19, 2015, 10:38:40 AM
Found some moisture in cockpit floor. It is solid at the hatch (18" away) and surprisingly solid at the pedestal (12"away) there is a spot right in the middle that is showing moisture and sounding little hollow. The deck itself feels very solid under foot. Any ideas where I might start looking?

Thanks

Bob

My pedestal thru bolts were leaking -- I sealed the flange with butyl and the Q berth has been dry for 20 years. 

So I would start with any thru bolt -  water could have found and travelled a small (narrow) void, and then started eating away at the core downstream.  If it's extensive you can remove/repair/replace from below.  Even one small leak can end up with extensive core damage if not checked in time.  I'm just into repairing a 10" x 10" section of core (from below) on a J/120 that had rotted due to a leaking line clutch thru fastener. 

It REALLY pays off in the long to take every thru fastener and epoxy seal the holes/core correctly and rebed with butyl, countersunk into the hole.  JTSO.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

boblin

Well I guess I will remove pedestal and guards next spring and re-bed for starters. How difficult is it to remove pedestal?

Thanks

Bob

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on October 20, 2015, 06:10:42 AM
Well I guess I will remove pedestal and guards next spring and re-bed for starters. How difficult is it to remove pedestal?

Thanks

Bob

Submit the 1st will be to probe fastener holes for water damage, not to 1st rebed.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain