Blister Repair Cost Question.

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

Quote from: dmcmd on March 05, 2017, 08:05:17 AM
20 years in New England and my 86 never had a blister.  After 5 years in southern VA in water year round found about 40 blisters one year.  repaired them all and checked the next year.  about 80 new ones.  Just pulled the yard receipt.  6300$ for entire bottom job including sandblasting, grinding, 3 months indoor storage to dry it all out, 3 coats barrier and 2 coats bottom paint.  5 years later and not a problem since.   About the only project on inspiration I didn't do myself thanks to this website.

Update--About 14 blisters in total were repaired by the yard, they were all glassed in, then followed by vinylester filler, then 4 coats of barrier coat was applied to all repaired blisters. The total cost including sanding the bottom, applying 2 coats of Interlux Micron CSC paint a third on the waterline, blasting and treating the running gear, came to $2625.
There is a Catalina 30 in the yard that had its entire bottom peeled down to the glass mat. Talked to the yard manager, he told me that when a boat is peeled down to the glass, the bottom than is redone with several layers of epoxy (No gel coat  is applied), so there will never be any more blisters.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL