Hood Seafurl 915

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy & Deb

We just bought a C34 equiped with a Hood Seafurl #915. Needing to drop the mast we pulled the pin at the base of the roller furling, only to see several pieces of hard, black plastic drop out, complete with nuts and bolts. It looks like a two piece affair, bolted around the forestay and acting as a stop for a double line type drum.

Is this part avalible? If so where. Any help would be appriciated. We are in the Astoria, Oragon area.

bjmansfield

Andy:

The part you describe was available from Hood (2 or 3 years ago anyway) and is not to difficult to replace.  Ours did exactly the same thing.

Jack Mansfield

Ted Pounds

Andy (and Ron),

I had a drum on my last boat and have a line drive on "Molly Rose".  I much prefer the line drive.    I don't have to worry about getting the right amount  of line on the drum.  I don't have a big coil of line in the cockpit when the jib is furled.  I don't have to tension the furling line to make sure it doesn't wind on the drum too loosely while rolling out the jib.  

Ted   :cool:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

jwwarwick

I have a Hood Seafurl on a '89 C-34 which suddenly Jammed for no apparent reason. The line is not frayed and I keep the unit lubricated with WD-40 as suggested. Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution? Any suggestions? Never had any problems with the unit before this one.

John Warwick

dsavary

I have a complete Hood Seafurl 915 off my 91 C34, used only 3 months. I sent the complete drive unit back to the factory to be checked out after Hurricane Bob (August 91) Hood replaced all the the bearings to the newer (at the time) tolon bears. Still in orginal box. I replaced my head sail and furler. I have keep this unit boxed a spare willing to sell. Send me an e-mail if your interested. ;)

jwwarwick

Thanks for the quick reply. I have E-mailed the factory to find out what may be wrong and how much it will cost to fix the problem. I may very well be interested in buying what you have. How much do you want for it?

John Warwick

Ken Juul

You may also want to ask around your local marina/rigging shops.  Mine had the needed parts in the spare parts bin from furlers they had repaired/replaced in the past.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

dsavary

Check out your sources and if you are still interested you can be reach me at dsavary@verizon.net. I have everything from continous line, stanchion double blocks lower drive, tack swivel, tubes, sleeve inserts, halyard swivel and installation manual.
 :cool: