Main halyard sheave

Previous topic - Next topic

Merit

Is the main halyard sheave at the masthead a bushing or a ball bearing?  Has anyone ever replaced the bushing with a ball bearing?

pklein

I own Hull #977 a 1999 model that originally had a sleeve bearing on the masthead sheaves.  I had the boat yard replace the main and jib sheaves with ball bearing sheaves which cost about $25 each fron Garhauer.  Much easier to raise the main and drop the genoa if I have to. I also replaced all my blocks and deck organizers with ball bearing units.  This also helps with the main.  I can hoist the main from the cockpit and get it within 1 foot of the top before I have to use the winch.  If I was a 300 # gorilla I could probably hoist it all the way.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

Merit

Thanks for the replies, we'll work with Gaurhauer to get the right parts.

fbien

I have a 1986 c34 standard rig hull #220. No chute.  I'm getting a new main, and am thinking of adding a Dutchman Flaking System.  These are much easier to use if you have a halyard style topping lift.

Question is:  I don't know if there are just two blocks at the top of the mast.  Will there be an extra block for the new halyard?  Any guesses?

-fb

jentine

Frank,
Think again about adding a Dutchman to your sail.  The cost is excessive and they do not work as good as is demonstrated at the boat shows.  I have used the Dutchman system since my boat was new in 1992 and have opted for Lazy Jacks for my new sail.
Jim Kane

Ted Pounds

Frank,

I don't have a Dutchman, but my neighbor had one on his Catalina 36.  He didn't like it and on his new main he got the Doyle Stack-Pack instead.  He say's he's much happier with that.  FYI.
Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

sail4dale

:)  I have a Dutchman and it's my first experience with one.  THe broker showed me how to use it and I love it.

He said to flake our the halyard and let it drop fast and free!  It works!  Save wear and tear on my first mate in heavy winds. :rolleyes: