Bleeding the fuel line on a M25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

Any hints or tips on bleeding the fuel line on the M25XP.  I'm replacing the fuel filters for the first time.  I know to soak the new filters before installing, but that's about it.  Would like to take advantage of all the experience out there.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Steve,

Also recommend that after you bleed, you run the engine in forward (low RPM) in the slip for approximately 15-20 minutes (the time required to burn all of the fuel in the line/filter assembly).  That way, if there's any air in the system, you'll know about it safely tied to the dock vs. maneuvering the boat!  Best not to rush--been there, done that and I can confirm the engine cannot burn air.

Cheers,

Mike Vaccaro
"Spirit" #563

Ran139

I just wanted to add my "first-time" filter change experience to this thread.

When I saw this post I printed it out and followed the directions (I thought). What I did'nt do was fill the filter before installation and was not aware of the bleeder bolt on the top of the secondary fuel filter also located on the starboard side of the engine.After a brief visit by the yard mechanic, I recovered, feeling quite fuelish.

John Gardner

While we're on the subject of bleeding, I also learned a lesson as a first timer.  In case I'm not the only one....

I followed the instructions in the manual slavishly, but the engine still wouldn't start.  I was sure it was an error in bleeding the fuel line, so when I called in the mechanic I asked him to leave instructions what to do - I wasn't there for him to see my blushes.  When you've bled the lines and filters, including opening the bleed valve on the injection pump, then (and this isn't in the book) put the throttle to max, crack open the nuts securing the fuel lines to the injectors.  Then turn the engine on the starter with the compression lever holding the valves open.  (Observe the limits on starter times etc)  When you have clear fuel at the injectors, tighten the nuts.  Don't forget to check the compression lever has returned, and put the throttle back to minimum.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Ted Pounds

John,

Seems to me that the extra procedure you describe is only nescessary if you work on the injectors or lines leading to them.  I've never had to do any more than open the bleed valve on the pump after changing even both filters.

Ted  :cool:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447