fuel gauge calibration

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

Apologies if this question is already covered somewhere else - I am in Mexico with limited access to documentation.

My fuel gauge is on the fritz.  Does anybody know how it's calibrated?  i.e. voltage for "full" tank, voltage for "empty" tank?

The tank should be about full right now, and I am reading almost exactly 10 Volts on the gauge electrodes.  Since I probably can't replace it until I'm back in the States, I was thinking of hooking up two wires to the electrodes and reading the voltage with my voltmeter whenever I need to check the level.

Thanks

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

Don't bother.  You'll use 0.5 gallons per hour or less.  I've been keeping track of my fuel use over the last almost five years, with an inoperable gauge.  Assuming your engine hour meter is still running, or you can keep track of that, use the engine hours as a fuel gauge until you choose to replace your sender, which is the part in the fuel tank that ususally goes south (no pun intended).  You could also have a broken ground wire.  If you choose, remove the aft cabin wall to the tank and check the black wiring which goes from the aft end of the tank, its ground, to the sender and then to the fuel pump.  I've seen cases where a butt splice in that line failed, and connecting it up made the gauge work just fine.  Enjoy your trip.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."