Engine panel question

Previous topic - Next topic

Eisensail

I am the new VERY proud owner of a 1990 C34 which I have in a slip located in Alameda, Ca.  Since my boat is in great condition, but with no real "improvements" I have several projects ahead of me.

One of the first things to upgrade is the engine control panel and wiring, including removing/rerouting the Orange wire from the harness.  I have already removed the old (very worn out) panel, ordered a new blank panel (without gauges) and new connector upgrades from Dennis Igarashi.  Of course the wires aren't long enough, so I will be ordering the 16 foot harness next. Anyway, here is the question...what is the little circuit board mounted on the back of the water temp gauge? Is it just low oil pressure warning? My new panel I just got from Dennis has a new Piezo alarm already mounted on it??  Do use that instead?

Great to be here and thanks for the help! 
Phil Eisenberg

KWKloeber

Phil,

Which engine -  M-25XP?
I have done a few panels/engine terminations/harnesses and know the pitfalls and minefields -- can give you pointers to save some heartburn.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Been there, done that --just this year on my 1990 #1014  (although seems like a lifetime ago). Ken is very knowlegeable and passionate about the wiring harness issue so you can't go wrong with his advice. There is a lot written on this site about this, which helped guide me and, I would be happy to also share my experience with you regarding this project if you would like to email me.
Noah
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

After
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

Does the CD panel have a fuse or CB?  I have seen C30 schematics that show one, but have never actually seen one and wondering which panel does -- there's so many different versions out there over the years the C30 was built!

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

10 amp push to reset circuit breaker on far right of panel next to oil pressure light.
Standard Rig

Eisensail

25XP
My old and new panel look the same as the pic.

Noah

Which pic? First two are old 1990, last pic (after) is new--with updated over temp and low oil pressure alarm circuit and lights added.
Standard Rig

Eisensail

All, the old 1990 panel looks like what I just removed and the new panel is just like the one I just bought.  Of course I haven't transferred the gauges over yet.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 20, 2014, 07:56:48 PM
10 amp push to reset circuit breaker on far right of panel next to oil pressure light.

Noah, do you have the glow plug relay mod?
Wondering cuz they are like 18 amps alone w/ a 10-amp fuse.

Ken

Noah

I have original glow plugs and have installed a solenoid for the glow plugs. Usually takes only about 5 seconds turning the key and my engine starts. Have had no circuit breaker issues (so far).
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

I think the circuit breaker on the panel is just for the panel gauges and lamps, maybe the blower too.

Craig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 21, 2014, 08:18:56 AM
I have original glow plugs and have installed a solenoid for the glow plugs. Usually takes only about 5 seconds turning the key and my engine starts. Have had no circuit breaker issues (so far).

Thanks for the explanation and pic Noah,
Nice neat install!

Ok, I did check the couple schematics that I have -- now it makes sense and i see why the 10-amp breaker doesn't blow.  

The panel breaker doesn't protect the glow plug circuit, nor the starter solenoid circuit, nor the alt excite wire, nor the fuel pump circuit!  
It really protects only the bilge blower and the gauges.  Once again non-ABYC compliant and one more CTY/Seaward blunder!  (my list grows.)

I would strongly recommend that everyone (not XPB owners) put a fuse or breaker on the red power supply to the panel.  It's too dangerous to leave all those circuits with no overcurrent protection.

Cheers,
Ken

Noah

Ken, here is the wiring diagram for my boat. I believe everything is properly fused/breakers and adaquately protected.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 21, 2014, 09:38:10 AM
Ken, here is the wiring diagram for my boat. I believe everything is properly fused/breakers and adaquately protected.

Noah,

YES!!

Sorry for confusion - I didn't mean yours, because you did all that electrical refit.

But I was confused because if the OEM panel wiring was to fuse the return circuits, the glow plugs should have blown the breaker.  I found my error when I looked thru the newer schematics I had from Seaward.

You have a 30-amp fused buss for the power to the panel so you are well protected -- because the lightest gauge in the Catalina Direct harness is 14 awg (which is likewise good for 30 amp.)   

None of the OEM or CD harnesses that have just a ring terminal on the solenoid "B" post are protected -- those are the owners that should add a fuse!!

Well though out layout (Kudos to your "electrician")!!

Cheers
Ken